Q9550 3.4 vs 4.0 performance wise

ketrab

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
hey,

So i'm currently @ 3.4 stable vcore 1.17 and i'm just curious if its worth pushing to 4.0 my q9550 ? What should be the reasonable line for this OC. I use this cpu especially for bad company 2 (not benchmarks) and currently i'm getting aprox 40-60 fps high settings. I have gtx 260 black edition with 4gb ocz on p5qse2.

What you guys think?!-will i gain "huge" performance with that extra 600 mhz's or my GPU basically will bottleneck it?

Thanks in advance

3.4 is a good OC and should be just about the sweet spot for that processor most people will run that processor between 3.6 and 3.8ghz 4ghz is a huge OC for that processor not saying its not possible but you will need some good cooling and some really good RAM to back it up. I would probably push for about 3.8 I wouldn't go much higher than that any higher just creates too much heat and the processor becomes very inefficient.

Hope you have a good PSU too because you will need it to push that processor up to 4ghz.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
^+1
OCing more would no doubt increase the frame rates, but they would be unnoticable, since you already get good frame rates.
Also 3.4 - 3.5 Ghz is probably the sweet spot for performance/watt ratio.