Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HDD led blinking constantly

Last response: in Storage
March 30, 2012 8:54:50 PM

My pc's HDD led is blinking constantly. because of which i can't watch videos or play games as every 2 seconds it freezes. I tried to reduce the processes , startup programs and even disconnected my dvd drive still the problem is not solved. Any help ?
March 30, 2012 8:57:06 PM

Sounds like something is going on in the back ground your not aware of. System possibly doing a virus scan? :s
m
l
March 30, 2012 9:04:15 PM

Quote:
Sounds like something is going on in the back ground your not aware of. System possibly doing a virus scan? :s

Maybe. I have avast installed but it i think it is not doing any thing.
m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2012 9:13:41 PM

I would give the system a reboot - if you have checked the processes (ctrl+alt+del), and there is no CPU usage going OTT or unwanted program running, disk trying to be read in the dvd drive, no virus software running (which you would notice in process anyway). Plus! What ever your running on the pc at the time, I.e. game causing it to go crazy. So Yeh, give the pc a restart.

If that don't work, pass it on too the experts :) 
m
l
March 30, 2012 9:18:14 PM

tamartin said:
I would give the system a reboot - if you have checked the processes (ctrl+alt+del), and there is no CPU usage going OTT or unwanted program running, disk trying to be read in the dvd drive, no virus software running (which you would notice in process anyway). Plus! What ever your running on the pc at the time, I.e. game causing it to go crazy. So Yeh, give the pc a restart.

If that don't work, pass it on too the experts :) 

It happens even after restarting. I have another os installed but the same problem occurs there. What should I do now ?
m
l

Best solution

a c 99 G Storage
March 30, 2012 10:30:25 PM

Since it happens on both OSs (dual boot?), I think it's probably your hard drive going bad, and trying to recover itself (and failing). Run a check-disk utility to see if you have lots of bad sectors.

With the PC booted, unlpug the HDD and see if the light still blinks. (I know, kinda stupid to check the HDD LED if no HDD.)

Is your anti-virus up to date? Run a full system scan, and see if it finds anything.

Do you have Windows Defender? It may be running too.

Check what services are running on boot up (services.msc).
March 31, 2012 9:53:29 AM

foscooter said:
Since it happens on both OSs (dual boot?), I think it's probably your hard drive going bad, and trying to recover itself (and failing). Run a check-disk utility to see if you have lots of bad sectors.

With the PC booted, unlpug the HDD and see if the light still blinks. (I know, kinda stupid to check the HDD LED if no HDD.)

Is your anti-virus up to date? Run a full system scan, and see if it finds anything.

Do you have Windows Defender? It may be running too.

Check what services are running on boot up (services.msc).

I ran Tune up disk doctor and my problem is solved although it took more than 3 hrs to complete. Thank u all very much for looking into my issue and solving it.
m
l
!