Sign in with
Your question

Better CPU or MOBO?

Last response: in CPUs
May 18, 2010 2:26:02 AM

Looking to upgrade to the 955 AMD CPU, but not sure which motherboard to get as I want to go with DDR3.

I am willing to spend around 300$ for the upgrade and I am not sure if I should sacrifice the 955 for the 635 and get a much better mobo as I could spend another 40 bucks on a better one.

So which do I do? Get the 955 and a cheaper mobo (probably worse) or get the 635 and a better mobo? Also if you could give me some advice on looking for boards and some suggestions. I am upgrading from a dual core 2.1 ghz intel. Thanks.

More about : cpu mobo

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2010 10:06:29 AM

Well go with the Phenom II X4 955 and either the GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 if you do not want to CrossFireX, but if you do then I suggest the GIGABYTE GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 if you do. Make sure you get the C3 revision (HDZ955FBGMBOX) of the Phenom II X4 955. The CPU & motherboard costs around $280.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2010 10:15:58 AM

Agree to get the better CPU. In the first place, you only want a good mobo to enhance the performance of your CPU by overclocking. If you can afford both a good CPU and a good mobo, then surely you will have a better platform. But on a limited budget, the focus should be on the CPU. Even if the mobo will not be able to OC very well, the higher end CPU will still be ahead.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2010 3:57:52 PM

Don't forget to add extra for a large CPU cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. You will not want to use the stock cooler unless you don't plan to overclock. Buy why not overclock especially for the same price of a Black Edition 955?
m
l
!