Wanting to update my PC.


I am looking to update my PC. I am willing to spend up to $500 and salvage as many parts as I can from my current PC, but, saving money is the top priority. From the parts below I know I can salvage the Case, the Hard Drive, and possibly the PSU. I was looking to go with an ATi/AMD build as they seem to be cheaper and seem a bit ahead of Nvidia, not that I would be against going with an Intel/Nvidia system. Any advice/help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Here is the current setup:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64-bit 5200+ Dual Core

GPU: GeForce 8800 GTS KO

MoBo: Can only support the AM2 socket and 4 gigs of 533 mhz DDR2 RAM.

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500watt

HD: 320GB 7,200 RPM, 8mb cache, SATA.

RAM: 4 gigs of DDR2 533mhz

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit (I know that I need a 64 bit OS to use more than like 3.5 gigs of RAM.)

Case: Antec 900
18 answers Last reply
More about wanting update
  1. I was thinking of getting the Phenom II X4 955, the Asus M4879XTD EVO AMD3 Motherboard, and the Radeon 5770 GPU. I was told my current PSU would be fine with the 5770. I am however curious if the 5770 is worth the money over the 5750.
  2. Anyone out there? Haha :)
  3. Here is a good start.




    Reuse that power supply and case. I would go with a better hard drive but that is something that can be done in the future as long as you do not mind reinstalling Windows.
  4. It will all work fine together however the RAM in my origonal post is worth the extra $10 for the much lower cas latency. The GSkill while good memory has a high cas of 9. I would look for cas 7 or 8 myself.
  5. Gotcha, thanks, I appreciate it.
  6. Glad to help.
  7. I wonder how large of a difference I will see. I am assuming pretty big, haha.
  8. So upgrading for what main task? Gaming i assume and if so on what resolution games played on?
  9. Gaming would be the primary task. Every game I run now, such as WoW, Dragon Age, TF2, Alien vs. Predator, all run pretty well. However, Bad Company 2 showed me I was in need of an upgrade. Basically, I want to be able to run games such as BC2 at decent settings, while getting a good, playable, FPS. I am currently using a 1680x1050 monitor, but, may upgrade to a 1920x1080 in the near future.
  10. 5770 should be fine for you then. Maybe run the 8800 GTS untill you have the money for a 5850.

    You should see a good all around improvement for sure. Some games are finally able to make better use of a quad core but mostly games will depend on your graphics card.
  11. Would I see much of a difference if I were to update everything except the GPU until I was able to afford a 5800 series? So, Id be running that new Mobo, RAM, and CPU, but, still using the 8800.
  12. You would see some difference. Hard to really say how much but the faster processor and memory will help for sure. Things like level load times are more hard drive limited. I would upgrade to a newer platter design as soon as you can as well. SpinPoint F3 is pretty good right now as far as price/performance. They have denser 500gb platters.
  13. JBA1989 said:

    If you can afford it I say go for it. Will not only work together but all quality parts.
  14. Well, definantly picking up the Mobo and CPU combo, that seems like a steal.
  15. The G.Skill RAM defaults to CAS9, but that's at only 1.5V. With a push, it will probably tighten to CAS8 or better. The OCZ Reaper is CAS7, but at a whopping 1.7V. It also has very high heat spreaders that may interfere with an aftermarket CPU cooler. The last two deals you linked looked more interesting. The RAM is still 1.7V, but at least it doesn't have the high heat spreaders.
    Even though everyone says the GPU is the most important for gaming, right now your CPU is holding you back. Since you can always add any GPU later, maybe wait to do that until you get the 1920x1080 monitor.
    I don't think my games are all that demanding, but when I went from 1680x1050 to 1920x1080, my HD4850 did not complain. Your games are more demanding than mine, so you may want a HD5770. Waiting another few weeks may help if Fermi pushes down prices at all.
    Your PSU should be fine for any of those cards.
  16. You should definitely wait a few weeks if you can. Prices will drop after Fermi comes out
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product