Hdmi audio cuts out when monitor is turned off

tommieht

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I have an Acer Aspire AX1200-U1510A computer running the latest Realtek audio driver from Acer’s website (version 6.0.1.5591, dated 2009/10/29). I have my computer hooked up to a receiver via HDMI. The receiver is hooked up to an LCD HDTV via HDMI (1080p). My problem is that I only get audio out of the computer if I have my TV turned on. As soon as I turn off my TV, the audio cuts out. Turning the TV back on does not fix it; I need to turn the computer all the way off, then back on again to get the audio to work. Since I’m mainly using my PC as a music server, I don’t want to have to leave my TV on just to listen to music. Is there any fix for this? Acer won't answer my question as my PC is out of warranty. Realtek hasn't returned my email. Thanks in advance.

HDMI audio is primarily for the protected format (thus when you turn off your LCD then your HDCP key is not being sent.
If your PC is mainly an audio server, then just use the 3.5 mm connection(s) or get a stand alone audio card and use the toslink or coax connection and then apply Dolby Pro-Logix IIz on the input.