Best aftermarket heatsinks?

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Evo
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
January 9, 2013 11:01:26 AM

I'm currently on a 212 EVO with an i3570K, but planning to buy a new heatsink soon. I was wondering what is the best one in terms of keeping overall temps low (size is not an issue). I'm looking for clocks around the 4.6~4.8 range and was leaning towards the Noctua D14, but have seen some mixed reviews when compared to the H100i. Now I know these two are the most popular but are there any others that outperform them? Essentially, which heatsinks will benefit me most for the clocks I look to achieve.

Also can someone explain push/pull configs (overall setup) and how they benefit air coolers?

Specs: Corsair 500R
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4

More about : aftermarket heatsinks

a c 92 K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 2:10:52 PM

Depending upon how you want to run your overclocks, you may want to look into a custom water cooling loop rather than the H100i. I'll link the water cooling sticky at the bottom (which is also helpful if you're considering an all-in-one like the Corsair). A very good water cooling kit (XSPC Raystorm kits come with everything you need to get started except distilled water) runs less than double the price of the Corsair and provides more versatility in mounting along with better cooling and expandability.
Just my view - I started out water cooling with an all-in-one, went custom within about 3 months. Personally, I was intimidated by the prospect of building my own loop... what if something went wrong? After wrestling with the all-in-one and facing the prospect of having to wrestle it again, I realized a custom loop wasn't going to be much, if at all harder

Push/Pull is the use of two fans (one pushes air through the heatsink, the other pulls the air out of the heatsink), which is often done on radiators too, to create more airflow through the heatsink which allows the heatsink (in theory) to dissipate more heat
Currently the two best air coolers I know of are the Noctua D-14 and the Prolimatech Megahalems.

***READ FIRST*** Tom's HW Watercooling Sticky v2.0

m
l
January 9, 2013 2:39:14 PM

I was actually thinking about custom looping, but as you stated worried about the consequences (if any) when installing. Although the joy of having a custom loop maybe just as satisfying as building your first computer, I don't think it's the best option for me. Maybe in the near future when I get my own place, custom will be possible.

Back on topic, like I said earlier I heard good reviews on the Noctua but just wanted to make sure it was the best buy or if there were any other out there that flew under the radar? Also what's your opinion on closed loops vs air. Like I said I'm only looking for mild OC like 4.6-4.7 nothing that will 100% need custom.
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2013 3:03:49 PM

Best buy is probably the Hyper 212 evo. But the one you're looking at will beat it for cooling, just not for price....
m
l
a c 92 K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 3:06:31 PM

I still have my all-in-one and use it on the times I feel like cleaning or rebuilding my loop and keeping my clocks set (since I try to keep my computers up and running as much as possible) or in case of failure of some sort (such as when I had a fan controller issue and was troubleshooting the fan system). I like them.
My personal issue with air coolers is the bulkiness but that goes with what they're doing. I like the ones that have some style to them like the CM V6 or V10 and the Zalman CNPS9500A they are good coolers but my preference is strictly asthetics there.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 5:12:47 PM

mookial said:
I was actually thinking about custom looping, but as you stated worried about the consequences (if any) when installing. Although the joy of having a custom loop maybe just as satisfying as building your first computer, I don't think it's the best option for me. Maybe in the near future when I get my own place, custom will be possible.

Back on topic, like I said earlier I heard good reviews on the Noctua but just wanted to make sure it was the best buy or if there were any other out there that flew under the radar? Also what's your opinion on closed loops vs air. Like I said I'm only looking for mild OC like 4.6-4.7 nothing that will 100% need custom.

this is as good , no ugly coloured fan
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...
m
l
!