Sign in with
Your question

Baking my gtx480

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 12:29:30 PM

My gtx480 has packed up and I thought that baking it might give it a small chance of survival I've removed the heatsink and fan and the metal bracket thingy that holds the fan and cools the memory and what what.

From here how do I go about baking it properly. And then once baked what kind of thermal paste needs or thermal adhesive or whatever needs to be applied to the memory and all those things.

Thanks.

EDIT: Successfully baked my gtx480 :sol: 

More about : baking gtx480

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 12:37:41 PM

In the oven on tinfoil with the chip up at 200 degrees celcius for 9 minutes.

Leave it to cool for an hour then just put standard thermal paste on to the chips and reassemble.

I'm sure there are online videos showing how to apply the thermal paste exactly.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 12:40:44 PM

Why won't you RMA it? Once you bake it and it goes bad you have nothing to return lol
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 12:47:49 PM

darth pravus said:
In the oven on tinfoil with the chip up at 200 degrees celcius for 9 minutes.

Leave it to cool for an hour then just put standard thermal paste on to the chips and reassemble.

I'm sure there are online videos showing how to apply the thermal paste exactly.

thanks yeah i will be back afterwards to report failure or success lol

alvine said:
Why won't you RMA it? Once you bake it and it goes bad you have nothing to return lol

bought it second hand without box or proof of payment for like a third of what they were selling for at the time. plus the warranty would have been finished by now.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 12:53:30 PM

I look forward to hearing your results.

Good luck :D 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 1:00:47 PM

darth pravus said:
I look forward to hearing your results.

Good luck :D 

put it this way. if i dont come back to this thread it didnt work lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 1:11:04 PM

I'll wait with bated breath
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 1:16:01 PM

Mmm nothing better than a hot fresh baked gpu in the mornin :D 
m
l
January 9, 2013 5:04:42 PM

[:russk1:7] Well what do you have to loose the card already died.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 5:09:30 PM

It may work for a bit but it's not a proper reflow. You may get a month or so if you're lucky.

A proper lead-free reflow should get the solder under the chip to around 220 degrees for 20-30 seconds to fully liquidfy the solder. Anything else isn't a reflow and will die soon.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 5:13:33 PM

Hmm, personally to Bake my GTX 480, I just play a game of Battlefield.
I mean, it seems to have the same effect as an oven. Seriously though, caught my card at 112C whilst playing Stalker before I replaced the stock cooler.

With how hot the GTX 480's run, and then cool down again. Must put a lot of stress on the microsolder points.
------------------------------
The stock GTX 480's memory I believe was cooled by the fan alone, and for paste just use something like AS5. Will give you better temperatures than you had before as well with the higher-grade, and fresh thermal paste. (Assuming the card runs again.)
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 5:30:19 PM

you're not really going to cook this in the oven your meals are cooked in are you?

take it over to Darth's house.
m
l
January 9, 2013 5:31:07 PM

Try looking up for a professional that can re-flow your pcb on a proper re-flow station instead of the oven i mean you might be able to save the card having it professionally done.
m
l
January 9, 2013 5:33:45 PM

alvine said:
Mmm nothing better than a hot fresh baked gpu in the mornin :D 
<--------
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 5:46:08 PM

azathoth said:
Hmm, personally to Bake my GTX 480, I just play a game of Battlefield.
I mean, it seems to have the same effect as an oven. Seriously though, caught my card at 112C whilst playing Stalker before I replaced the stock cooler.

With how hot the GTX 480's run, and then cool down again. Must put a lot of stress on the microsolder points.
------------------------------
The stock GTX 480's memory I believe was cooled by the fan alone, and for paste just use something like AS5. Will give you better temperatures than you had before as well with the higher-grade, and fresh thermal paste. (Assuming the card runs again.)

lol i have 700 hours of bf3 with my gtx480

tehhijack said:
Try looking up for a professional that can re-flow your pcb on a proper re-flow station instead of the oven i mean you might be able to save the card having it professionally done.

and yes im leaning toward that since i know someone who can do it.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 6:59:43 PM

Bear in mind the cost over replacing the card.

My ovens always free ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 10:27:47 PM

:(  Thats technical cruely your Motherboard wont be proud:(  But I am happy its dead anyway have fun:) 
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
a c 150 K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 1:49:44 AM

darth pravus said:
Bear in mind the cost over replacing the card.

My ovens always free ;) 

The oven uses electricity/gas! :na: 
m
l
January 10, 2013 3:42:28 AM

Add salt for that zingy taste
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 4:34:08 AM

You are making me hungry.
m
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 4:52:21 AM

:na: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 4:58:46 AM

bigcyco1 said:
:na: 

I am not even joking. I'm sitting here with a bowlfull of small polish dill pickles and green olives. Eating them with a small fork.

I'm curious what a baked graphics card tastes like - probably not as good as it sounds.
m
l
January 10, 2013 5:37:26 AM

I baked a dv6 laptop motherboard with a tutorial found on google. I think 220 degrees was the temperature. Still works about 6 months later. Left a bad smell in the kitchen for a while, because I forgot to remove that fake plastic sd card they put in to keep the dust out.

Other than that, I let it cool down and put it back together, and it worked. :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 6:06:00 AM

brode09 said:
I baked a dv6 laptop motherboard with a tutorial found on google. I think 220 degrees was the temperature. Still works about 6 months later. Left a bad smell in the kitchen for a while, because I forgot to remove that fake plastic sd card they put in to keep the dust out.

Other than that, I let it cool down and put it back together, and it worked. :) 

I had images of you putting the whole lappy in and the case just slowly melting around it :pt1cable: 
m
l
January 10, 2013 6:41:55 AM

darth pravus said:
I had images of you putting the whole lappy in and the case just slowly melting around it :pt1cable: 

If it didn't work, that was the next step :sol: 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 2:33:56 PM

Turns out I dont know anyone who can reflow the solder 'professionally' so im just going to pop it into the oven. One more thing. Is it safe to pop it into the oven we put food in? It says RoHS compliant (lead free) so I think it might be safe.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 3:44:55 PM

cromedome said:
Turns out I dont know anyone who can reflow the solder 'professionally' so im just going to pop it into the oven. One more thing. Is it safe to pop it into the oven we put food in? It says RoHS compliant (lead free) so I think it might be safe.

You'll be fine. I've done slow bakes to fix bent board before in my oven. What I would suggest is covering the caps, etc with tinfoil and only leave the chip exposed.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 4:09:10 PM

Waiting for it to cool down now...

edit: put my oven on 215 degrees. But i know it's not calibrated correctly and im pretty sure it's closer to 200 degrees than 215.
m
l
January 10, 2013 5:02:26 PM

Post back the results, if there are any. I would like to see how this works out on a desktop gpu :o 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 5:45:43 PM

brode09 said:
Post back the results, if there are any. I would like to see how this works out on a desktop gpu :o 

It may work for a short burst of life but the long run, it probably won't hold up. Adding extra massive cooling will help some.

In Europe years ago, they deemed all electronics had to have lead-free solder. This was to combat when old electronic go to die and end up in landfills, the lead doesn't leech into the ground, water, etc. Most electronic companies switched over rather than having 2 lines of products, one for lead-free countries, one for lead. Eventually other countries banded on and about all consumer grade electronics are now fully lead-free solder.

The problem is after time (excessive heat speeds this along) the lead free solder starts to either A, develop tin-whiskers, or B, cracks and results in a cold solder joint. Tin whiskers are basically the solder expands and grows micro hairs, or whiskers that touch the solder ball next to it,resulting in a short. Cold solder joint means, although the solder ball appears to be there, it's not connected, or not connected enough to pass the required signal through it.

This results in the 360 red ring of death, the PS3 yellow light of death, the Wii black screen of death, Laptop that boot with no video, GPU's that die, LCD tv's, etc. In all the above system, the GPU is usually the hardest hit, and with heat and excessive COD or WOW playing of 16 hour sessions while your mom feeds you hot pockets, the problems above start to manifest.

A way to fix this is what's called a reflow. The offending chip is heated till the solder under it heats up to liquid (fluid dynamics and other physics force the balls to stay together usually, and lots of flux helps) so the tin whiskers are destroyed and the short is broken, or the cold solder joint is soldered back to the point it was connected to.

With proper cooling, better thermal paste, etc, a reflowed system can last a few more years. 16 hours session with your hoodie over your 360, it will probably die again sooner or later.

Another option is what's called a reball. You remove all the lead-free solder from the chip and with a stencil, reapply lead solder balls to the chip. The problem with this, is although the GPU is now the strongest part of the chain, everything else is still lead free solder and eventually it fails. Reballing seemed to be the bee's knees in fixes but over time, they don't seem to last any longer than reflows as the CPU, memory, etc will then fail as the GPU is no longer the weak spot.

To do the above properly, you need a reflow machine that will heat the lead-free solder under the chip to 217-222 for 20-30 seconds, so that it become liquid solder balls. These machines aren't cheap, so in the DIY world of Youtube, people will use a paint-heater, their oven, toaster oven, hair dryer, anything with heat, that would, in a sense, ghetto reflow their system.

The problem is 99% of the time, you are not hitting that 217-222 window for the 20-30s needed, and you may temporarily break the tin whisker bond, or reset the cold solder joint so it's a bit stronger, but in no way did you "reflow" it.

These fixes rarely last long, and people usually do more damage than good in trying to fix the system.

Anyways, that's the techy reason most electronics fails nowadays, it's because of a bunch of envrio-hippies that forced the government to switch to something that wasn't long term tested.

Most government and space agencies over the world have exceptions to use lead solder still because it's still the best thing we have and you can't have a 25 billion dollar spy satellite stop working because of a stupid tin whisker 18 months into use.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 6:07:07 PM

Wellllllll... It's working. Just tested BF3 and it worked. It will be interesting to see how long this bad boy lasts for. Well I only need it until next week until I get my 7870, I know it's not an "upgrade" but it's all I need.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2013 6:18:07 AM

Very glad to see you got it working.
m
l
!