Wow causing internet to drop offline

kattykaty

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I just built a new system. It can get online but whenever WoW starts it disables the internet connection. I disable/re enable and I am back online. I login then to WoW and am able to actually login, but after few minutes it drops offline again.

I tried repairing WoW. I tried updating graphics drivers, and nic drivers, chipset, directx, uninstalling av and firewall.

I am confused as to where to go from here. WoW is the only mmorpg we play and regular internet seems to be working fine with no drop offs. Logged in on different compputer and account logs in fine.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ECS
System Model: GeForce 8000 series
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 1792MB RAM
Page File: 333MB used, 3352MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
160 gb hardrive

kattykaty

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I would think that but I have no issues on that account on a different computer. I just built this and it can't stay on wow for more than 5 minutes before freezing or dropping offline AND causing the nic card to disable. Its that last bit that has me puzzled. How do I stop WoW from shutting off my nic card?

kattykaty

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I fixed it. I had to hunt down a driver that was newer than the one that was on Windows update (.1xx) or the realtek website(.2xx) I found a .4xx driver that seems to have fixed the problem.

rsmith13

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
Is your other computer using the same WoW server? I have about 5 computers with WoW installed and they all have been having drop out problems since last friday. They are all using the Nordrassll Realm servers.

Detsawm

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I used to have this problem and it was a nightmare, I tried every fix anybody ever suggested and nothing. I finally discovered the problem was that my computer was overheating due to a dust buildup. Try taking apart the computer and using compressed gas to clean off any dust from around the CPU/GPU and replace the thermal compound on the heatsink (it's v cheap stuff - around £2). After I did that everything works great again, if it doesn't help at least you'll have a clean comp!