Sign in with
Your question

New pc doesn't always make it past POST

Last response: in Systems
March 10, 2010 4:47:17 AM

I think that is what its called - I have a brand new pc, everything is compatible. I bought all the parts brand new and put it together.

My problem is that, when I start the computer, the fans, the cd tray, the LED lights, everything starts up, except for the "system". There are no beeps.

After maybe 5 tries, it will beep, and it will start up.
One short beep.

THE COMPUTER IS STABLE - does this mean, even though that it doesn't start up always, it's okay to use?

Any input or help would be helpful.

Also;
INTEL e6500 processor
ATI radeon HD 4770
2gb OCZ ddr2 ram
Asus p5kpl-am
460 watt power supply.

Edit: I have also read the FAQ on boot problems sticky.

More about : make past post

a c 122 B Homebuilt system
March 10, 2010 12:58:35 PM

Apazlol said:

THE COMPUTER IS STABLE - does this mean, even though that it doesn't start up always, it's okay to use?

If it does not start all the time, it is not stable.

What kind of PSU?

When you read the "can't boot" sticky, did you just read it or did you do all the steps?

March 10, 2010 1:52:50 PM

jsc said:
If it does not start all the time, it is not stable.

What kind of PSU?

When you read the "can't boot" sticky, did you just read it or did you do all the steps?

Yep. 4 Pin connector is connected, no extra standoffs / none touching board in the wrong place, Video card is integrated until i get an adapter for my PCI-E card, I only have one stick of ram (OCZ 2gb), CPU is installed properly, i reseated the heatsink and the past 2 boots have succesfully passed POST the first time, I'll update if it's solved. (Edit: Not solved)

All plugs are connected properly as to how the manual describes and have reset CMOS.

When the system does not sucessfully boot, there are no beeps, no video goes on the screen, though the hdd works, dvd drive works, mobo light is on, all LED's are on, usb devices seem powered on.

When it does boot properly, there is one short beep and everything is fine.

Also, the PSU is just a 460w ($30) PSU that came bundled with my case.
March 11, 2010 5:54:39 AM

I bought a new 850 watt power supply, the problem still occurs.

I've found out that, every time the computer is on its side, the motherboard will past POST the first attempt.
!