How best to upgrade our computer store computer for games?

nicelyj2

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Hi all,

We have the computer that's listed here: http://tiny.cc/On8X7
We got it from PcWorld and it was meant to be just for my wife's work but I want it for games.

I haven't played PC games for years so I'm totally out of the loop on graphics cards, power supplies and all of that. Last I played anything, it was Grand Theft Auto III San Andreas. I really want to play GTA IV and Bioshock. So I thought, I know about computers, and I got myself an NVidia 8800GTX off Ebay.

I was stunned to see how massive it was! It does not fit in my tiny-cased computer. It was only after the card that I did my homework - it used to be easier than this! - and found that my power supply wouldn't have been adequate anyway. Mine is 250W and now I know I need almost double that.

I tried playing Grand Theft Auto IV on the computer tonight and...no. Not at all. I dropped every single detail down to its lowest and it wasn't at all playable.

I don't know this universe anymore. Can someone please help? What card can I get that will FIT in my computer and what power supply should I get to run it? I'm in the UK, if that makes a difference. I don't need the latest thing, nor can I afford it. I want something that can run those two games at a decent speed and for under $200. I'm willing to take a chance on Ebaying things.

Thank you so much for reading.

- Jason

Well 250W doesn't get you very far, And I'm not sure what the quality of the PSU's that PCworld uses would be like, most likely generic.
A HD4650 might run ok, but will struggle with Grand Theft Auto IV

I think your best bet is to save up some money and buy a mid or full tower case, a quality 500W PSU and then decide on a graphics card or use the 880GTX

Yeah, that case looks tiny and will probably be an issue, you would be best off replacing it and getting a decent PSU. An OK case and PSU would probably leave you enough for something like an HD5750 based on US pricing. Not sure about over there though.
What is the native resolution of your monitor?

nicelyj2

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

Hi there,

The monitor is a good one from Samsung, this one: http://tiny.cc/NO3Ua
Its resolution is 1920X1080. It deserves to have something playing on it other than an Excel spreadsheet.

I can't change the case. We're stuck with what we have. So if you or anyone else knows what cards will fit in our tinier case, and what PSU would also fit in our tinier case to support that card, that would be great.

Thank you,
Jason

Is there a reason you can't change the case? To replace the PSU in something that small you will likely need to remove the motherboard anyway if I had to guess. Any card appropriate for your resolution will definitely require a new PSU,

TRENDING THREADS