AMD Phenom II X4 840/ Memory overclocking questions

dGCyanide

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Okay, so for a while I've been meaning to overclock my CPU, but last time I tried hitting 4000MHz which is my goal it was tested on an old system, the specs were;
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA770-UD3
RAM: Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 2GB DDR2 x2
and the rest are the same apart from the case, cpu cooler and peripherals. But anyway, I managed to get to 3900MHz which was fairly unstable and crashed without being under full load. So I ended up replacing the motherboard because it was starting to develop faults and bought an Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 and from what I've seen on different forums it is a pretty good motherboard some where near the high end or in the high end region. Anyway, I've ended up getting G.Skill F3-12800CL10-8GBXL DDR3 1600MHz x2 16GB total. So now it's all running smooth, never skipped a beat. The air cooling was also another thing that annoyed me for the CPU. It ran perfectly fine on temperatures and such but it was just too big to keep. So I ended up switching to the Corsair Hydro Series H80. I ended up overclocking my CPU seeing as the temperatures were excellent and I ended up going to 3600MHz and it all still ran fine, so I upped it to 3900MHz ran stable even under full load while rendering which as most PC people out there will know is a really heavy task for a CPU. Temperatures were running fine and everything and I was getting from the stock 3200MHz it was rendering the scene in 8-10 minutes. Temperatures hit a max of 30-35 depending on the ambient, so when I hit 3900MHz rendering the exact same scene dropped from 8-10 down to 4-6 minutes. So I decided time to up the Vcore and lower the memory speed because if I rightly remember overclocking certain things to get the CPU up higher will increase the DRAM frequency. So now I'm at 4200MHz, things are still running amazingly smooth and stable. So heres the thing that I came to ask, what are signs of failure when it comes to a CPU, I already know the signs when the motherboard starts to die out but yeah I'm really curious when I should start to worry if things fail. I'm soon to get the new piledriver core, but I want to try and make this last as long as it can before I get a 8 core. The ram now performs at 1060MHz instead of 1600MHz, and rendering has dropped to 1-2 minutes which with my needs is quite amazing. The temperatures hit a max of 50 if it's quite hot ambient and the cooler running at max speed. I also was reading how the threshold of this core is 1.55V and I have it at 1.6V, so I was wondering what peoples thoughts are and if I can up the memory some what higher than what it is now because I'm getting mild issues in 3D studio max which is what I use to design, I seem to render faster which is great, but now I'm limited by my ram because it won't handle as much polygons as it did when it was running at 1600MHz. So really I didn't know where to place this so, I'm sorry if it's in the wrong spot it's just cause it's mainly about the CPU clocks. Here are the frequencies and voltages.

Memory
DRAM Frequency: 530.0 MHz
FSB:DRAM: 1:2
CAS# Latency (CL): 8.0 Clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 8 Clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP): 8 Clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS): 20 Clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC): 27 Clocks
Command Rate (CR): 1T

NB Frequency: 2650.0 MHz
Channels#: Dual
DC Mode: Unganged
Size: 16384 MBytes
Type: DDR3
Voltage: 1.5V on both modules

CPU
Name: AMD Phenom II X4 840
Code name: Propus
Max TDP: 95 W
Package: Socket AM3 (938)
Technology: 45 nm
Core Voltage: 1.648 V
Family: F Model: 5 Stepping: 3 Ext. Family: 10 Ext. Model: 5 Revision: BL-C3
Core Speed: 4239.96 MHz
Multiplier: x 16.0
Bus Speed: 265.0 MHz
HT Link: 2120.0 MHz

Voltages
Vcore1: 1.65V
Vcore2: 1.52V
+3.3V: 3.36V
+5V: 4.97V
+12V: 12.35V
-12V: -6.52V
-5V: 4.05V
+5V: 3.60V
Vbat: 3.15V
So any help would be appreciated and I was wondering what I should do to make my memory a higher speed. Oh also my idle core temp with the pump on low and fans on low is 23C with cool ambient temp. I have also never seen anyone with my own eyes that is getting this core up to 4.2GHz only furtherest I've seen is 4.0GHz - 4.1GHz.

wojas322

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
How did you get it all the way to 4239.96 MHz?? Please tell me how did you do it, i have the same processor and i cannot get it overclocked at all. I am running all stock and i see people like you with such a high overclock and i am just curious how did you get it that high. Thanks

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Where are you getting these temperature readings and under what load conditions (prime95 is what you should be using not rendering)? I have serious doubts about a H80 dissipating the heat from a vcore setting of 1.648.

I'd say a good goal would be a cpu at 4.0Ghz with the northbrige anywhere between 2800-3000Mhz and your memory at or near stock settings.

Could you post what exactly your question is in a few sentences?