Amd 890fx chipset or intel X58 chipset

alikhanindia

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
well i have decided to build a new gaming rig. But i am confused whether to go with amd phenom ii x6 1090t black edition( 6 core )or intel core i7 930 which is four core but through hyper threading it becomes 8 core (4 virtual cores )

and what i have seen from benchmarks it seems like core i7 930 is defeating amd 6 core in most of the benchmarks ( 6 out of 8)
both processors are same priced so which should i go

in games also 930 is giving 15-20 more frame rates than amd 6 core isn't surprising

so my question is whether which platform to choose

Solution

Since the CPU price is the same, the differentiating factor will be the price of the motherboard and the RAM. But if you will be contented to populate only 2x2GB on the X58 then RAM...

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
For games, the i7 would be faster. You could overclock the PII, but usually you could overclock an i7 higher. The PII would only be faster in productivity apps wherein it could utilize all cores, but since the most games are usually limited to duals or quads the i7 would win (due to the higher ipc).

The I7 will be the faster gamer. But the 6 core isn't just about a single benchmark or app. Non gaming environments become multithreaded more easily than you might think. The extra 2 cores would be very usefull for almost any non gamer.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

For your average user, even 4 is overkill. Internet browsers, document apps, and video players would hardly benefit from going to multi-threaded. One possible common "average" app that would gain from becoming multi-threaded would be video transcoding applications.

Even the C2Q is overkill for most users now, and it has been out for a couple of years.

If the OP is much more concerned over fps then the i7 is the way to go. (This is like the original highly clocked C2D vs lower clocked C2Q problem again)

randomkid

Distinguished

Since the CPU price is the same, the differentiating factor will be the price of the motherboard and the RAM. But if you will be contented to populate only 2x2GB on the X58 then RAM cost will be the same with the AMD.
That leaves the motherboard. X58 is usually more expensive than the 890FX coming from the same manufacturer. The price difference could be big or small depending on the feature. Now whether this price difference is worth the performance increment of the i7 over the 1090T for you, then go for the i7.

1090T is a better and usually no brainer choice mostly for those who already have an AMD board and only want a CPU upgrade. Like me...

Solution

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I keep hearing folks complain about how applications are not multithreaded enough and that more cores will not make the machine faster. Most users run more than one application at a time, so more cores are always good, especially if you have your music running in the background, have your web browser up and downloading who-knows-what with your p2p client. All this while you are playing Crysis, have Word open with that paper you have due in the morning, and you also have you email client open with at least three days of unanswered email.

By nature, the way we use computers often lends itself to being more capable with more memory and more cores. Sure, some applications need to be more multithreaded just because they are very processor/memory intensive, but more often than not, we need more cores/memory because we do many things at the same time on our computers.

alikhanindia

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
thanks for reply
i have decided to go with core i7 930
but i am still searching for the good motherboard
i have narrow my search to two manufacturer Asus and Gigabyte.
Is ga x58a ud7 a good motherboard.

alikhanindia

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
thanks for reply
i have decided to go with core i7 930
but i am still searching for the good motherboard
i have narrow my search to two manufacturer Asus and Gigabyte.
Is ga x58a ud7 a good motherboard.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010

Yup, its brilliant.
For the same price, even the ASUS rampage II is a great board.