UPS turns off automatically

jithint

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I have an APC Back UPS 300W/500VA. I'm facing a strange problem. Occasionally my UPS turns off for no apparent reason! No warnings, no beeps. It just turns off completely. This happens randomly and even when the PC is just on and no apps are running. Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is??

PC config:
Cooler Master 550W PSU
AMD Phenom II X2 55 BE
Asus M3A78
2x2 GB DDR2-800
ATI HD 4850 512 MB
1xSeagate 250 GB sata
1XSeagate 160 GB IDE

Thanks

dorje

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
what if the problem is caused because you have a heavy system config..
550 watt is very much power indeed
so try to use something light with your UPS.
like try using your TV with the UPS.
also the UPS dont last vey long time.
they last for a maximum of 4 to 5 years.
then something does always happen.

Very likely close to, or exceeding, the rated 300 W. The "550 Watts" is just the PSU max rated values, Your system is less than that. But you have to factor in PSU effiency. For example if your system only used 250 Watts, the power required from the UPS would be 250 / 0.75 = 333 Watts (Eample only). Also when idle, some times background programs kick in boosting the cpu usage and thus the "idle" current/Power.

Another possibility (More remote) is in the form of brownouts ( Your AC drops below a point where the UPS kicks in and when it transfers to Batt, it can not handle the load. In my house I could see my ligths dim and backup when my old vacumm cleaner was turned on.

I would not try the UPS on a TV, unless you verify that the TV is OK to operate with an UPS - Some TV's do NOT like the waveform output of an UPS when it goes to BATT Mode.
A better way to test would be to plug some lamps (Old filiment) in and add until you hit the 300 watts, then maybe add one more 60 watt bulb.

dorje

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

thanks for the info about the TV..
i will never try using my TV with my UPS again.

TRENDING THREADS