Sign in with
Your question

Amd athlon II x4 640

Last response: in Overclocking
January 9, 2013 6:52:17 PM

Hello all, i am a newbie to this overclocking business as i'm sure you've all heard so many time. But i would like some help and advice on to how exactly to overclock and what is a suitable amount to overclock to for my rig, i dont want to risk any problems but i am thinking of buying the 'Sapphire HD 7870 2gb ghz edition' graphics card as im currently running on an intergrated one and it simply isnt good enough. So i was wondering what i would need to overclock to to be able to get decent results from this graphics card or whether i'd be able to access it potential anyway without OC'ing.

Mobo: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
CPU: Amd athlon II x4 640 3ghz
Grapics card: (Intergrated) ATI radeon 3000
Cooling: ASUS Silent Knight II
Memory: 4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-8500
Need more info?

Picture of my CPU setting in BIOS, what do i need to edit to be able to overclock and what else do i need to do in my BIOS to allow me to OC?

Any help appreciated, thanks :) 

More about : amd athlon 640

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 7:15:35 PM

None of those options will be of any use to you. Since you have an Athlon and thus a locked multiplier you will only be able to change the FSB (front side bus) which will raise your memory speeds.

I am not sure what the setting would be called but I believe it would be under "jumper free configuration".
January 9, 2013 7:24:19 PM

Thanks for the quick reply :) 

How would i go about changing the FBS and how far would you reccomend i go without the chance of breaking anything, and do i need to change the voltage things?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 7:41:27 PM

I don't have an Asus board handy so I am not sure what the setting is called. The default value of the FSB would be 200Mhz. Basically with overclocking using the FSB you are limited by your memory. You can't really push the FSB much without having to drop the memory ratio.

I have an Asus board at home similar to yours, I will have to check and see what it is called. I wouldn't push the FSB past 220 at it's default ratio. You shouldn't need to increase the voltage.

If you can get 220 on the FSB your system would run at 3.3Ghz.
January 9, 2013 7:49:23 PM

Okay thanks :)  is there stuff i should watch out for like the memory frequency or voltage? as i've read that if they get too high then there might be problems?
January 9, 2013 8:27:55 PM

I think the standard Ht link for my setup it 2000, but as i increase the FSB to like 205 the ht link changes to like 2050, does this matter and how high is it allowed to get, what can happen if it gets too high?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 10:51:28 PM

If it gets to high the system will become unstable. That is why you need to adjust the NB (HT link) and memory ratios to keep them as close to stock as possible while raising your FSB.

I checked on my Asus board and it was under the AI tab in the bios which seems different than yours so not much of a help and it seems you already found it.

Here is my highest stable overclock with an Athlon II X4 645 - 4014.5 Mhz, 1.504 V, 259 FSB, 2590 Mhz HT Link .. http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2646746
!