Status
Not open for further replies.

bluextatic

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
What would be a few reasons for using a "Clear CMOS" button that has appeared on numorous MB's or just clearing the CMOS. Why would I need to clear my CMOS? I have been computing for fifteen years and have never had to clear the CMOS.

Solution
Yes, there's the corruption aspect - but also if for some reason {e.g. bad OC or other bad settings} you cannot boot into the BIOS or are having Post failure then sometimes you have no other choice but to use the Clear CMOS methods.

Often 'we here' recommend Clear CMOS to kill 2 birds 1 stone: 1. reseting eliminating corruptions to the BIOS and 2. force Load Optimized/Defaults --- to 'discover' the true nature of the problem(s) {one less variables}.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Me, neither.

But I guess, sometimes, it is not uncommon that hardware changes and/or BIOS updates may cause data corruption in CMOS that you have to manually clear it so that it memorizes the new configuration data from scratch.

Yes, there's the corruption aspect - but also if for some reason {e.g. bad OC or other bad settings} you cannot boot into the BIOS or are having Post failure then sometimes you have no other choice but to use the Clear CMOS methods.

Often 'we here' recommend Clear CMOS to kill 2 birds 1 stone: 1. reseting eliminating corruptions to the BIOS and 2. force Load Optimized/Defaults --- to 'discover' the true nature of the problem(s) {one less variables}.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.