hey guys,
this is my system,

Q9400
ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus
4GB OCZ 6400
2GB Corsair XMS2 6400
XFX 280GTX

i just upgraded from an E6600

im well aware of the quadcore compatability with this mobo, but before trying to upgrade i tested a Q8300and it worked flawlessly. so i assumed that the Q9400 would work also. what im gettin is this error

*** Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
*** The system has halted ***

thats all the information i get.
i never got this once wen i used my E6600.
i assumed that maybe windows just didnt like the cpu upgrade and ocaisionally blue screened, so i started to reinstall windows and it blue screens during that.
i have applied the latest bios update
iv used hirens boot cd and it does not lock up wen i run the cpu test.
altho everytime i install windows 7 it crashes at about 3%.
i would have just bought a new mobo but its hard to find a mobo thats not DDR3 etc and i cant afford to do a full upgrade (otherwise i would) and i need the quad for Battlefield Bad Company 2.
would anyone have any idea on how to fix this still keeping all the same hardware? changing bios settings or something? i dont know.
thanks in advance.
epith

More about : blue screen error cpu

a c 122 B Homebuilt system
March 10, 2010 12:34:53 PM

Unfortunately, the 680i (and probably its little brother) does not support the 45 nm Yorkfields.

Google "680i yorkfield intel". Lots of hits.

I'm in the same boat with an eVGA 680i motherboard. :( 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 10, 2010 2:21:12 PM

jsc is exactly right. Your motherboard just plain doesn't support your CPU according to the Asus CPU support list.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

The only quad core CPU's listed on the list are Q6xxx and QX6xxx chips. You'll need a new motherboard if you want to use that CPU. Here's an inexpensive option for a single GPU system:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $89.99 - $10 MIR
m
l
March 10, 2010 8:34:19 PM

okay thanks. i assumed that was the problem, i just thought it might work since the q8300 i tried worked without any hassle. but be cuz yorkfield n wolfdale. ah well. looking at a new mobo today.
m
l
!