Your question

Intel i7 920 idle temps 50c and higher :s

Last response: in CPUs
May 18, 2010 10:28:42 AM

Hello, hello.

First of all this is my rig:

Windows 7 x64
Intel i7 920 cooled by a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 with two 120mm fans on each side
12GB Corsair Dominator DDR 3 RAM (1600mhz)
Asus P6T V2 Deluxe
GeForce GTX 295
Corsair PSU 750w

It's all inside a Antec P193 that is well cooled by two 120 mm fans at the top and one 120mm fan at the back and the front. At the side of the chassi there is also a 200mm fan.

The settings on most fans are on quiet but the cpu fans are set to normal.

My average gpu temperature is around 45-55 in idle and 70-75 during heavy load and that is with the fan speed at 1600rpm to make it pretty much noiseless.

My idle temps on the 920 is around 50-55 which just feels like it's way to much considering how it's cooled. When I play games it goes up to about 60-70 and when I run prime 95 it reaches almost 100 during the heat up phase.

I haven't really noticed this until I decided to overclock it yesterday. I overclocked it to 4ghz and it booted up fine and Real Temp reported 4ghz with idle temps about the same (a few C higher) as the regular clock. While playing games I went up to about 75 and during prime 95's heat up phase it reached 100 immediatly. It seemed like the clock wasn't stable either since Real Temp showed the ghz dropping down to 3500 and 3200 from time to time as well.

These temps just doesn't seem right to me with this much nice cooling. What would you guys say are normal temps with this kind of cooling during idle and load?

Any idea what might be giving me these high temps?

a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 11:46:23 AM

sounds like a mismounted HSF. Assuming you have thermal paste on?
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 3:55:10 PM

Two questions: How much thermal compound did you use and are the fans working together in a push pull manner?
Related resources
May 18, 2010 6:52:40 PM

Pro Llama said:
Two questions: How much thermal compound did you use and are the fans working together in a push pull manner?

What's a push pull manner?

I tried to use a nice thin layer of thermal paste on it making sure it covered the entire thing but that the layer was thin. I'm not the best at building a PC by myself but I thought it looked proper. So it could be as simple as me having to reseat the cpu cooler then?

I'm guessing you both consider the temps unusually high?
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 7:02:37 PM

pixels said:
What's a push pull manner?

I tried to use a nice thin layer of thermal paste on it making sure it covered the entire thing but that the layer was thin. I'm not the best at building a PC by myself but I thought it looked proper. So it could be as simple as me having to reseat the cpu cooler then?

I'm guessing you both consider the temps unusually high?

Yes it seems high considering you are not using the stock intel hs. It could just be there is too much thermal compound. When I say push pull I’m referring to the 2 fans that you have on the heat sink. One pushing air across and one pulling from the other side.
a c 77 à CPUs
May 18, 2010 7:02:41 PM

Yes, those temps are absolutely way to high. I agree that it seems like your HSF isn't installed correctly.
May 19, 2010 3:19:08 PM

Pro Llama said:
Yes it seems high considering you are not using the stock intel hs. It could just be there is too much thermal compound. When I say push pull I’m referring to the 2 fans that you have on the heat sink. One pushing air across and one pulling from the other side.

Yes it's a push pull setup. I will try reseating the Noctua as soon as possible and see if that solves it :)  Thanks for the input guys.
!