Sign in with
Your question
Solved

4.6Ghz ivy bridge

Last response: in Overclocking
January 9, 2013 7:49:50 PM

OK, I overclocked the i5 3570k to 4.6 Ghz with auto voltage on the gigabyte Z77X-UD3H. at what voltage would the processor degrade more quickly, or does heat only matter? I'm still working on my overclocking knowledge, treat me like a noob.

I have the i5 3570k at 4.6Ghz, gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Zalman LQ-310, nzxt source 210 w/ 2 cm sickleflow fans.

In the Bios, it's running 44-45 degrees celcius, is this too high? I get about the same on my other pc with the 212 evo push/pull on same OC, so I wonder if the voltage is set too high or if the over-voltage will degrade the cpu faster than the computer's life should be.

I'm running prime95 right now on the first test(uppermost), and I haven't noticed any changes other than cpu usage at 100%(win7 gadget) and norton informing me of the usage.

More about : 6ghz ivy bridge

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 8:14:54 PM

Auto-voltage uses more voltage than you actually need which results in heat.
The heat alone and damage your CPU mobo and ram directly so you better look at HWmonitor and look for you mobo temp aswell but it should be fine.
The voltage on the other hand can fry your CPU without warning.
I'd say that voltage is more damaging than heat,not only because more voltage = more heat but also because it keeps damaging and degrading the material.This goes for pretty much anything.

First thing I'd do is take it off auto.Prime 95 will probably report errors anyway at that speed with auto voltage.
Secondly I'd look in toms for the OC tutorial and follow it to the letter.
There are bios setting you need to shut off,other you need to enable and you need to work with offset voltages for the CPU vcore.
Running 44-45ºC strikes me as your CPU is running 4.6ghz all the time.What it should do to generate less heat is to downclock itself when your system isnt needing the power and OCing when it does.This is what the mobo should do normally.Don't OC using software aswell,you should do it in the bios.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 8:15:49 PM

Are you using HWmonitor/core temps/etc to keep a look on the CPU temps?
m
l
January 9, 2013 8:21:09 PM

realtemp 3.70 hits a max of 94C, with prime95 running for a while on blend. should I use push/pull with one of my sickleflow fans? I am asking because I would have to sink both sides.

I have not come across any errors yet.

I have been overclocking from the bios, and windows recognizes the increase, but the non-turbo ratio still won't change
m
l
January 9, 2013 8:37:47 PM

what should I set as the voltage?
m
l
January 9, 2013 8:38:13 PM

Best answer selected by lxgoldsmith.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 8:44:52 PM

Maybe the mobo doesnt do that,i never read much on your mobo but seen it compared and reviewed and it was good.

4.6ghz is too much,there are extremely high diminishing returns on ivy bridge meaning that after a point in order to get more speed you need a big jump on voltage and the heat is enormous.

Drop it to 4.4ghz and try again.
Dont let it hit more than 70ºC.

Use 4.4ghz for now and go to bios to save your OC profile.

Then read this to OC effeciently:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclockin...

It is done on another mobo but the main process is there.
There are feature you need to disable/enable/change that may have different names on your bios.Just ask around what they are and you can set the pior optimaly.
The more important parts of OCing are common ground to all mobos so you will do fine,but if you have any problems just ask.

And stop prime95 please.95ºC on blend is way off the normal "safe" temps.No matter how you position your fans you wont ba able to get to 4.6ghz stable for 12h without doing irreversable damage to the cpu or mobo.

Set the multiplier to 34x and follow the steps on the link above.
I advice you to keep 3 profiles:
- Normal non-OC
- OC @ temps you can go during the coldest season
- OC @ temps you can go during the hottest days

The reason for this as you may suspect is that the ambient temperature goes put and becames harder to keep you CPU cold.So every month or so do a prime 95 for a few hour to check if you CPU doesnt go over 70ºC tops.

It is always a good idea to keep an eye on temps.Easy way to do it is to make the realtemp start with windows/linux and before shutting down look at the max temps.If you see high numbers when you barely stressed the CPU run a prime 95 to make sure everything is ok.
It takes a bit of work but safe guards the computer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 8:48:59 PM

I cannot tell you what to set the voltage to as each chip is diffent.Best is for you to read the tutorial and do it step by step so you can achieve maximum speed with the least voltage possible.
m
l
January 9, 2013 8:55:44 PM

set to 4.2ghz, an the max is around 60C after 2 min prime95, is this good?

Edit: 4.2 with auto voltage seems to be safe w/ 62C max after 10 minutes.

Have I done any damage with my initial overclock? I had set it that way today, so if it was set that way for an hour and a half, what kind of damage are we talking?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 9:32:17 PM

Probably none.Prime 95 stress cpu 100% in a way that generates more heat than normal usage.
62ºC is good.It go a bit down if lower voltage but at this "low" OC the excess voltage is minimal,the voltage problem comes after 4.4ghz in most cases.Don't be worried with anything below 70ºC at prime 95,the way heatsinks work is that at low OCs the difference between different heatsinks is small,it is only after you go into OCs that require more voltage that the heatsink will prove its worth by keep your CPU at safe temps because they can get rid of heat faster than it generates.Of course there is always a limit to OCing and that is set by the voltage you run or the heat.High-end WC for example can achieve higher clocks but the required power is still the same,so the voltage sent to the cpu is what ultimately holds the OC back.Air cooling OC generally stops when the heat is too high as you can never cool down the cpu when he is at the maximum safe voltage.
Its all fun to find the limits of the CPU to make sure you have a good chip and to be able to run it faster increasing the longevity of the usefulness of it.But you should also consider that even if you can run the CPU at 5,0ghz do you really need it running that higher?If you don't then use a conservative 4.2-4.4ghz OC optimized with the tutorial I linked.When the time comes that you actually need more CPU speed to keep up with your GPU you can raise the OC.
It literally takes <1min to change the speed,all you need is restart the PC enter bios and load the higher OC profile.

Have fun.
m
l
!