Can I boot off a RAID card with only 1 hard drive plugged into it?

RonPaul2k12

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Can I use a RAID card just for extra internal SATA ports?

If so, how can I boot 1 hard drive by itself off of one. The motherboard's SATA ports went bad which is why I am using the PCI RAID card.

Review on Newegg.com: "There are NO instructions for setting up the board and, while there is a message when you boot to press Ctrl-S or F4 to configure the board, there is NOTHING in the manual that discusses this (or the setup process)." Do you see that message at POST and did you press Ctrl-S or F4?

From another review: "Just be sure it's highest on the PCI slots, above sound cards, lan etc... or it won't initialize. Pretty sure it's an IRQ thing."

This review also is interesting: "SATA drive wasn't recognized by the XP Pro install until the txtsetup.eom file was edited. The instructions that came with the card didn't specify the need to edit the file for an XP install. Within the file, it does describe the edit for a Win 2K installation. The same edit enables XP Pro to recognize the drive." How will you get the Windows drivers loaded?

RonPaul2k12

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Yes, I went into that menu and the only options are to setup a RAID, format, etc. Nothing that appeared to be useful. I tried all PCI slots. The Hard Drive is being read but it is as a RAID and not booting Windows like it was before the SATA ports on the mobo died. I might have to reinstall Windows.

It should be detected once Windows 7 has been installed on the boot drive and drivers have been loaded. To install Windows 7 on that drive, you have to load drivers. Visit http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=29&cat=3, download the drivers and use them at installation time if need be.

RonPaul2k12

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Well I tried two different 64-bit downloads on that page. Assuming I chose the correct ones that didn't work. I was at the Windows 7 install page and I clicked every single file that I downloaded and extracted individually off of the flash drive. None of them worked. Are there any other solutions out there or can you be more specific?

That may be tricky. To start with, which BIOS has been flashed to that controller? SATARAID5 or IDE BIOS (non-RAID)?

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=32&cat=15&ctid=2&os=0&

Make sure that you understand the first 3 sections before downloading and flashing the BIOS:

* BIOS Update Utility for Windows
* BIOS Update Utility for DOS (the one taht I would use on an old system that has a floppy drive)
*Sil3132 BASE, SATARAID5 and system BIOS. Note: "The b####.bin file is the IDE (non-RAID) BIOS. The r####.bin file is the SATARAID5 BIOS." You should delete the
####.bin which is an abbreviated BIOS intended for integration into system BIOS because you don't need it.

Once you know if your controller has the SATARAID5 or the BASE BIOS, you need to use the corresponding drivers.

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=32&cat=3&ctid=2

RonPaul2k12

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
This is frustrating, I can't figure out what to do or download from your instructions or the ones on the website. Just tell me what to download and what to do please.

What I did: I put The first download here- http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=29&cat=15 * BIOS Update Utility for Windows on a flash drive. Then I put r4384.bin also on the flash drive and did not use any folders. I booted from the flash drive and it said: "No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!"

I read all of the instructions and they only say how to update in Windows, which obviously I can't boot up the drive to do. I've been reading nonstop and can't figure it out.

Attempting this during a Win7 installation it doesn't work when I try to load the drivers. It says "Installing an unsigned 64-bit device driver is not supported..."

If you can't boot into Windows, then you need to download the DOS utility and boot from DOS. There isn't much else that you can do to flash the correct BIOS. In order to use the latest drivers for Windows 7, you first have to update the BIOS. You could contact the card manufacturer for support, but don't expect too much for such an inexpensive card.