Overclocked i5-2500k now graphic card overheats

Hey there!

I hope that I have found the right forum, but here is my problem:

Yesterday I decided that I want to overclock my i5-2500k processor. As I am pretty newb with such things I used the ASUS AI Suite II. I know that this probably was a bad idea, but nothing to change now. I used the automatic overclocking feature provided by the programm and could achieve a MHZ of about 3300. I then played 4 hours straight and everything went fine.

Today I started gaming again, and the problems occured. Suddenly the screen went black and the GPU fan went at full speed, really really loud.

I started the PC again and went again into the game, same result.

I then decided to uninstall the AI Suite and also reset the whole BIOS (maybe notable: I also updated BIOS yesterday) by doing battery out and putting it in again. Now the thing got strange, the problems didnt disappear.

I checked some things and saw a strangely high GPU temperature (I am using a Geforce GTX 560 TI). When playing it gets over 100° and then the whole thing crashes as described above.

I now tried to underclock the GPU, nothing changed and also tried to increase the voltage via Afterburn, still no change.

I am really clueless now and really hope someone can help me!

Regards,
Philipp
7 answers Last reply
More about overclocked 2500k graphic card overheats
  1. What case do you have and can you install a fan on the side panel by the graphics card?
  2. When you pulled the battery, did you leave it out long enough to the bios to actually reset to default? It almost sounds like your case temp was warm before you overclocked, and when you did overclock, the heat from the CPU was enough to defeat the cooling system on your 560, overheating it to the point of shutting down.

You should check your bios, and make sure your CPU is at default clock, and the auto overclock feature is not enabled.

Also, are you using software to control the speed of the fan? Disable any manual fan controls if possible, and let the card handle them automatically, based on load and temperature.
  3. brode09 said:
    When you pulled the battery, did you leave it out long enough to the bios to actually reset to default? It almost sounds like your case temp was warm before you overclocked, and when you did overclock, the heat from the CPU was enough to defeat the cooling system on your 560, overheating it to the point of shutting down.

You should check your bios, and make sure your CPU is at default clock, and the auto overclock feature is not enabled.

Also, are you using software to control the speed of the fan? Disable any manual fan controls if possible, and let the card handle them automatically, based on load and temperature.

Yep, I did leave it out long enough and I also checked the BIOS settings, to be sure. Afterwards, I again reset it via jumpers. So I am 100% sure that they are back to default now.

I dont control the fan speed in any way, but as mentioned in aboves post I tried to do so to overcome the problem, but that didnt help even if I would let the fan run full speed all the time.
  4. killver said:
    Yep, I did leave it out long enough and I also checked the BIOS settings, to be sure. Afterwards, I again reset it via jumpers. So I am 100% sure that they are back to default now.

I dont control the fan speed in any way, but as mentioned in aboves post I tried to do so to overcome the problem, but that didnt help even if I would let the fan run full speed all the time.

The only other thing I could possibly think of, is when it overheated the first time, it might have baked the thermal compound, so it is no longer efficiently transferring heat. I'm not familiar with the quality of factory paste on higher end cards such as yours.
  5. brode09 said:
    The only other thing I could possibly think of, is when it overheated the first time, it might have baked the thermal compound, so it is no longer efficiently transferring heat. I'm not familiar with the quality of factory paste on higher end cards such as yours.

So you would recommend to change the paste?
  6. Well, if you are still under warranty, make sure it won't void your warranty first. If it will, I would contact the card manufacturer. Assuming your are out of your warranty period, then yes, I would recommend changing the paste to some high quality name brand paste. I have never had to change paste, so maybe someone else could recommend a brand.

Also, there are aftermarket coolers that will fit your card, such as this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426026
  7. brode09 said:
    Well, if you are still under warranty, make sure it won't void your warranty first. If it will, I would contact the card manufacturer. Assuming your are out of your warranty period, then yes, I would recommend changing the paste to some high quality name brand paste. I have never had to change paste, so maybe someone else could recommend a brand.

Also, there are aftermarket coolers that will fit your card, such as this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426026

I am still in warranty, so maybe no good idea.

The thing is that I dont want to wait long until I get a new card, but rather find a fast fix ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Intel i5 Overclocking Product