Sign in with
Your question

Plugging HD Audio plug into ac97 header

Last response: in Systems
March 10, 2010 1:03:28 PM

Hello, I have an intel d845 mobo. I recently bought a new tower case (with HD Audio front panel) to solve its cpu heating problems. When I plugged in the 10 pin HD audio plug onto the mobo header smoke issued from the front panel when it was turned on. I took it all back to the dealer who told me that I caused the problem and I should have only used a mobo with HD audio with the new case.

Intel's own website claims ac97 is pin compatible with HD audio. Who is correct?

Any help is much appreciated as I have spent hours trying to find a correct answer. I now have a mobo possibly without front panel sound and a damaged front panel audio.

Thanks
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
March 10, 2010 1:17:22 PM

Pin compatible means that the plug fits. My Antec 900 cases have an HDA plug on the end of the case audio jacks. It also has an AC'97 plug daisy chained off the end of that. What the motherboard provides determines your choice.

You may be able to contact the case manufacturer and get a replacement front audio panel. Motherboard? If you are lucky, the audio i/o jacks still work.

Otherwise, I think you are out of luck.
March 10, 2010 1:24:18 PM

jsc said:
Pin compatible means that the plug fits. My Antec 900 cases have an HDA plug on the end of the case audio jacks. It also has an AC'97 plug daisy chained off the end of that. What the motherboard provides determines your choice.

You may be able to contact the case manufacturer and get a replacement front audio panel. Motherboard? If you are lucky, the audio i/o jacks still work.

Otherwise, I think you are out of luck.

jsc

thanks for your helpful reply. I will go and see what can be done. If nothing else I have learned something!!???

Barrti
!