Skeleton for video editing, MS flight, general purpose

tomtom63

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within one month starting 3/10/2010)) BUDGET RANGE: not fixed, but don't want to be stupid with hard earned $

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: video editing of HD clips from Canon T2i, photoshop, and MS Flight simulator (low importance)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: have i7-920, Antec Skeleton

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: MicroCenter Brentwood, St. Louis, Newegg, etc.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Antec signature 850 PSU, probably overkill, but future resistant. ASUS P6X58D MOBO likely, 6GB memory, Video ATI 5858, 5830, 5870, 5770?

OVERCLOCKING: No, but I'm not religous about this decision

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1080 or better, still unsure on size, number. Most likely one landscape, one portrait monitor about 24", maybe 3 monitor. Don't want to pay for pro resolution monitor.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Since it's open air, I want a look of quality, not flashy. Noise not important. I realize that this might be re-built into a conventional case in a year or so.

I'm stocking up on parts, but want to get it running soon after taking delivery of MOBO (30 day return). Looking at 2 TB Hitatchi HD for $129, plus smaller HD for system, possibly SSD.

Here's my general high end recommendations. I'm not sure if you're looking to spend that much.
Mobo: Asus P6X58D Premium $310
RAM: Mushkin Enahnced Redline 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 6 $230. This is expensive, but it's the fastest RAM out there. If you don't want to pay that much, the G.Skill Pi Series 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 is a great alternative at $180.
GPU: HD 5970 $700. Probably overkill, but if you want Eyefinity, I wouldn't go less than the HD 5870. You may also want to look into the workstation GPUs (ATI's Fire and nVidia's Quaddro line). They're made for this type of build.
HDD: 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $180
SSD: Corsair Nova 128 GB $320
PSU: OCZ Z Series 850W 80+ Gold $200. More efficient than the Antec Signature 850W, not to mention cheaper.
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $25

Total: $1,884.

I'm personally not a fan of Hitachi drives. The company's philosophy towards drives (smaller platters) makes them slower, louder and hotter. I think you'd be better off with two 1 TB F3s.

tomtom63

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Thanks. I appreciate options. I'm looking for specific, not general advice. For instance, the OCZ fan blows up or down, depending on mount, right? The Antec PSU blows out the back, which is suggested strongly for the Skeleton. Also, the Skeleton only holds two HD internally without mounting one to four more on the sides externally. If I want a system drive, SSD or not, then I only have one remaining space. Hence the 2 TB drive. If it's downfall is running hot, then the Skeleton design is maybe the best use of a questionable drive at a good price.

I was hoping someone would tell me to get a 5870!

The QVL doesn't really matter. That's just the list of the RAM they have extensively tested on the board, not a list of all compatible RAM. G.Skill is a major RAM manufacturer. If they made RAM that was incompatible with one of Asus's major boards, they wouldn't be making much money. I wouldn't worry about it not being on the QVL.

As for the 1600 mhz, I have no idea where you'ver heard that. The speed and the amount of RAM you can use have no connection. The only thing that may be a little strange about 1600 mhz RAM is that it might default to 1333 mhz in BIOS, so you might have to set the speeds and timings manually, which is very easy to do.

tomtom63

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I'm not sure what it means, but the P6X58D manual says on page 2-11:

Due to Intel Spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only.

To be honest, this is the first time I've heard that. Doing some searching seems to be that the problem lies with the board's memory controller being stressed too much by the voltages. Some posts on a couple RAM manufacturer's suggest that as long as you're careful with the voltage settings, you should be able to fill all the slots. You may want to go over to Mushkin's and Asus's forums and get an answer for sure though.

TRENDING THREADS