I have the following:
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
8 gig of memory
Intel Quad Core 9650 Processor
Zalman 9700 Fan
EVGA GE Force 9800 GT with Dual Monitors
Western Digital 640 Gig Hard Drive

I built the machine two years ago and it was running great with zero problems. I started it up the other day and it short cycled. The CPU fan would come on and then go off and the machine would shut down. I changed the fan with the same failed results. When I changed the fan I coated it with Arctic Silver 5 and then the machine started, but did not post - nothing. The fan ran for a few seconds and then it stopped. When I turned off the power the fan would quickly spin.

Now my thought is a failed motherboard since the CPU fan receptacle does not work. The other fan receptacles work. Any thoughts? Thx!

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a c 108 V Motherboard
November 4, 2010 11:48:48 PM

Welcome Newcomer. Have you worked through the "no boot" sticky yet? If not follow the link in my signature.

The first thing that comes to mind is a possible short somewhere. Before experiencing the no boot problem, did you change anything?
November 5, 2010 1:23:02 AM

I didn't change a thing. I started it the other day and the mouse and keyboard did not work - everything laoded fine. I forced a shutdown and then restarted it. That is when I had the problem. I had an extra CPU fan and installed it, at the same time cleaning the processor chip and using Arctic Silver 5 exactly as per the instructions. I plugged the CPU fan into a different 12v receptacle and it worked. There are no beeps or any posting - it just runs. Before I cleaned the CPU it would only recycle - stayed on for a few seconds and then continually restarted. Any help is appreciated. Thx.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 108 V Motherboard
November 5, 2010 6:32:01 AM

Have you tested your PSU? RAM?
m
l
a c 207 à CPUs
a c 214 V Motherboard
November 5, 2010 5:42:08 PM

Any post messages like "CPU fan not running" ? or Ho CPU Temperature ?

Can you load to BIOS and see CPU temps / CPU fan rpm ?

Did you remove old TIM before applying Artic Silver ?
m
l
November 11, 2010 11:49:01 PM

I failed to mention one detail - I had an old FireWire card in the machine. I removed it and the problem is solved. Thanks for the help, but I forgot that card was in there. I recycled it.
m
l
November 21, 2010 11:46:43 PM

Best answer selected by scanups.
m
l
!