Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cool'n'Quiet stopped working on my 1090T after massive OC

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 18, 2010 6:02:01 PM

Need some advice from someone with experience on this, as I have never encountered this issue before

I'm running Windows 7, power management is on "balanced"
Cool'n'Quiet was working until today, after I ran few hours of Memtest86+ on my machine, I boot back into Windows, and notice that all my cores are stuck at their highest clock setting - 4.25ghz, I know that this doesnt sound like such a bad idea, but my machine is on 24/7, and I'd like Cool'n'Quiet to kick in when its on idle. Just few hours before this CnQ was working perfectly, where it would throttle down to 800mhz when its idle. I did not change any of the BIOS setting that would have an effect on this, (CnQ and C1E is enabled in BIOS), then I started playing around with my OC, I notice that if I bring my OC down to around 3.8ghz, CnQ kicks in again

so my real question is, could this possibly be related to my OC? does CnQ turn itself off automatically once you OC past 4.0Ghz mark for stability reasons? or did i damage the motherboard or CPU by over-volting (which I managed to reach @ 1.64v), or is this just a windows 7 issue, in which the windows changed its settings without my knowing and allowed it self to prevent CnQ after a certain OC? (due to the fact that i crashed often while in windows from attempting OC to a higher clock rate)

if anyone can shed some light on this, would be much appreciate!
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 6:07:05 PM

arterius2 said:
Need some advice from someone with experience on this, as I have never encountered this issue before

I'm running Windows 7, power management is on "balanced"
Cool'n'Quiet was working until today, after I ran few hours of Memtest86+ on my machine, I boot back into Windows, and notice that all my cores are stuck at their highest clock setting - 4.25ghz, I know that this doesnt sound like such a bad idea, but my machine is on 24/7, and I'd like Cool'n'Quiet to kick in when its on idle. Just few hours before this CnQ was working perfectly, where it would throttle down to 800mhz when its idle. I did not change any of the BIOS setting that would have an effect on this, (CnQ and C1E is enabled in BIOS), then I started playing around with my OC, I notice that if I bring my OC down to around 3.8ghz, CnQ kicks in again

so my real question is, could this possibly be related to my OC? does CnQ turn itself off automatically once you OC past 4.0Ghz mark for stability reasons? or did i damage the motherboard or CPU by over-volting (which I managed to reach @ 1.64v), or is this just a windows 7 issue, in which the windows changed its settings without my knowing and allowed it self to prevent CnQ after a certain OC? (due to the fact that i crashed often while in windows from attempting OC to a higher clock rate)

Whats your windows power management set to? If it's set to like "high performance" or something like that, it could be your problem.
m
l
May 18, 2010 6:10:12 PM

i've stated in my first post that power management is set on "balanced" @ start of 2nd paragraph
m
l
Related resources
a c 83 à CPUs
May 18, 2010 6:11:55 PM

Most motherboards usually disable Cool n Quiet once you start overclocking, I've never seen it work to a certain clock and shut off afterwards. Have you checked in your power options that the cpu power states are configured properly? You'll find this somewhere in the advanced settings of your power profiles(balanced is one of them)

1.64V is dangerous for the processor, even 1.5V is pushing it for 24/7 use in my opinion. I highly doubt you damaged it though, would of had to run at that voltage for a while.

I've also got to wonder why you set up such a power hungry beast when your concerned about power consumption in a 24/7 computer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 6:17:32 PM

arterius2 said:
i've stated in my first post that power management is set on "balanced" @ start of 2nd paragraph

Opps, sorry about that. :sweat: 

overlooked that part.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
May 18, 2010 6:19:17 PM

Forgot to mention this before, but if you can't get cool n quiet working properly on your motherboard with that overclock, you could always use K10stat to downclock within windows. It works great, I've been using it for over a year now because my motherboard disabled cool n quiet if I adjust any cpu settings in the BIOS.
m
l
May 18, 2010 6:22:58 PM

my motherboard is an Asus Crosshair IV Formula, it comes with bunch of bells and whistle so you can never be too sure.
I've checked the power options, I did not change anything, the cpu power state was left as-is, which is 5% @ idle and 100% at load.
I do not run the CPU @ 1.64V, I just meant that I've attempted at that voltage. for 24/7 use i've stabilized it @ 4.27ghz @ 1.56V.

as for my concern for power consumption, ill answer this in a way that makes sense to me, and hopefully to you....
My work warrants me to use a machine of this caliber 24/7, 3D modelling during the day, let it render during the night, however, I have my personal concern for the enviroment and I do believe in green computing so when im surfing a webpage or taking a nap or lunch, id rather have my computer saving those watts.
m
l
May 18, 2010 6:26:36 PM

loneninja said:
Forgot to mention this before, but if you can't get cool n quiet working properly on your motherboard with that overclock, you could always use K10stat to downclock within windows. It works great, I've been using it for over a year now because my motherboard disabled cool n quiet if I adjust any cpu settings in the BIOS.

this wouldnt be such a big mystery if yesterday I didnt see with my own eyes that at 4.27ghz OC, both cpu-z and core temps shows CnQ working as it throttles down to around 800mhz idle, and back up again when i run an application.
m
l
a c 77 à CPUs
May 18, 2010 7:25:47 PM

Are you sure you just don't have something like a virus scan using cycles and not allowing CnQ to go down to 800MHz? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but sometimes the solution is the most obvious thing that's easy to overlook. Check task manager and see if there's something running in the background that you didn't know about.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 8:03:59 PM

arterius2 said:

My understanding is that CnQ doesn't function correctly when you increase the multiplier.

It does work properly with bus overclocking though.
May 19, 2010 1:20:55 AM

Best answer selected by arterius2.
m
l
May 19, 2010 1:22:28 AM

thanks, I think you are right, @ 250x17 CnQ is working
but @ 200x 21 CnQ is not working. looks like it is the multipliers
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2010 2:53:24 AM

arterius2 said:
thanks, I think you are right, @ 250x17 CnQ is working
but @ 200x 21 CnQ is not working. looks like it is the multipliers

Well, i will certainly keep a mental note of this for future reference. Never knew there was a problem with CnQ when overclocking.

It certainly amazing that there almost always something you dont know and it's practically in your face everyday. Guess it just how life like to play with us. :lol: 
m
l
May 19, 2010 3:03:27 AM

warmon6 said:
Well, i will certainly keep a mental note of this for future reference. Never knew there was a problem with CnQ when overclocking.

It certainly amazing that there almost always something you dont know and it's practically in your face everyday. Guess it just how life like to play with us. :lol: 

absolutely, exactly my thought =)
m
l
!