HDD inaccesable and Windows explorer restarting

bloodandbon3s

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2012
Hello. I have a 500GB harddrive, which is inaccesable. It is shown in Windows 7, but it cant be accesed and it dont show the capacity of it (it only shows the harddrive name but no capacity).
Every time I try to click it, I cant do anything and after 3 minutes it says that Windows Explorer stopped working. Windows Explorer keeps restarting all the time by the way, not only when I try to acces the HDD.

There is no bumping sounds or anything coming from the harddrive and the fan speed is normal and it doesnt get overheated. I have tryed these things:

- Using CMD to go into MsConfig and make it load default system.
- Opening SETUP, trying to see if something got changed in there.
- Using Recovery Manager
- Trying to eject harddrive and place it in again.
But none of them work.

My pc is home made and I can tell the most important things it have:
An Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
2GB RAM
And a ATI RADEON HD 5750 graphic card
An 80GB harddrive used for Windows.
And of course the 500GB harddrive which is normally used for pictures,programs & games mostly.
I think thats all right now. Tell me if you need more information to be able to help me.

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Have you scanned the disk for errors? have you tried this disk connected to a different sata/ide slot? My first guess is your drive died, and if that's the case, these things will help confirm it. If this is the case, you would then need to use a disk recovery program to help pull off all data you can and then replace the drive. Also, if you go to properties under your device manager, is there an error code or a little yellow exclamation point?

bloodandbon3s

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2012
I am not allowed to even right-click on the disc. When I do that, the window stops responding, so I am thinking about I might got an virus that killed my disc on it and prevented access to it?
Haven't tried connecting to another slot though.
And no I haven't been able to scan it, but perhaps I should try scanning with the scannow command in CMD.

bloodandbon3s

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2012
Hmm. Appearently I cant use Check Disc or scannow command on the disc, cause somehow it has been made into a RAW disc instead of NSFO. But I think your right, about the disc might be dead...
Luckily for me I got nothing important on it, I only had my games mostly (which is on my Steam account and the rest I have on a CD)
I have been trying to fix it for a long time, but I think I most admit that I simply cannot fix it myself. And I dont want to pay a lot for getting a professional fixing the harddrive, so I just hope I can find a cheap new harddrive :)
One of my best guesses of what could have happened is virus. It has happened before but last time it wasnt so bad, so I could easily get it removed.

bloodandbon3s

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2012
Hmm. Will it be able to (hopefully) "revive" my HDD or is it just for recovering files?
Cause if it only recover files, then it ain't needed. I dont have anything important there .

And thanks for trying to help me :)

bloodandbon3s

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2012
HDD's completely dead. Now it aint showed in Windows anymore.
I'm just gonna try to accept the fact that the HDD is dead and it cant be fixed.

Thank you for trying to help me unluckily it couldnt be saved.
R.I.P 500GB HDD :(

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
This is a tad outside my realm of expertise, but to my understanding the link i provided is for recovering files and not the disk. I was thinking it might save you the step of letting steam reinstall and update all your games again.

bloodandbon3s

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2012
Ah yeah okay that was I found out too.
But thanks for trying to help me, now I just need to save up some money for a new HDD. I found one for 86$ with 500GB in it, that is okay cheap ain't it?