AMD Phenom II X6 1055T vs. Intel i5 750 Quad

akiraQ

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Hey, I'm in need of some advice from the pros on this site.

I'm looking at building a computer and I'm having some trouble deciding between the parts available. I don't have much experience building a computer but have the opportunity to get these parts super cheap from a friend. The main debate in my brain is over the CPU but I would love advice on all components since I don't even know if they are compatible.

Here are the two options.

1) Intel Core i5 750 Quad Core (or i7 860)
Radeon HD 5750 1GB
Ripjaws 10666 4GB DDR3-1333
MSI P55-GD55 Motherboard

2) AMD Phenom II X6 Processor
Radeon HD 5850 1GB Graphics
Ripjaws 12800 4GB DDR3-1600
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Motherboard

I would mostly be using this computer for 3d modeling, Photoshop, some video editing and gaming. I'm scared to overclock with my limited knowledge of computers unless someone really convinces me it's necessary.
Thanks to anyone who helps a newcomer like me.

Solution
[X6 + 5850] vs [i5 750 +5750?]

lol this is a no brainer, obviously the x6+5850 will net you much better performance, the 6-core will really accelerate your 3d modelling/photoshop/video editing experience, and 5850 is a beast when it comes to gaming, this one is way too easy.

I also do professional 3D modelling/animation/photoshop/video editing work myself, and I work on a X6 1090T OC'd to 4.27Ghz + ATI FireGL V7700, performance wise, this is unmatched.

read through this thread as I've posted scores on my system, your system shouldnt be too far off with some decent OC
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282271-28-cinebench-scores-1090t

so far, i know this setup works very well programs such as Cinema4D, 3Ds Max, Sketchup, Adobe After...

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Wow option 2 is your best bet. The extra cores will give you a little more power for the heavy applications. That option also has a better graphics card which will make your gaming experience a little better.

arterius2

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
[X6 + 5850] vs [i5 750 +5750?]

lol this is a no brainer, obviously the x6+5850 will net you much better performance, the 6-core will really accelerate your 3d modelling/photoshop/video editing experience, and 5850 is a beast when it comes to gaming, this one is way too easy.

I also do professional 3D modelling/animation/photoshop/video editing work myself, and I work on a X6 1090T OC'd to 4.27Ghz + ATI FireGL V7700, performance wise, this is unmatched.

read through this thread as I've posted scores on my system, your system shouldnt be too far off with some decent OC
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282271-28-cinebench-scores-1090t

so far, i know this setup works very well programs such as Cinema4D, 3Ds Max, Sketchup, Adobe After Effects/Premier as I've tested them personally.

Solution

Well between them 2. i would say #2.

For 3d modeling and video editing, the phenom ii x6 is a very good cpu for that and scene the HD 5850 is better than the 5750, games will run better on this.

All though, the ram speed is a little overkill. Save the money on the 1600MHz and get the 1333MHz ram.

akiraQ

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Awesome, you guys are great.

I guess I'll ask another question while I'm here. Do you think I need more than a 600W power supply? Also, how about cooling, do you think I should go for basic Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H5 or the even more basic heatsink just included with the CPU?

arterius2

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
with the PSU,its always a good rule of thumb to buy the largest PSU you can afford, and this would give you more breathing room for future OC/drop-in upgrades etcs. your system runs fine on 600W if you leave things at stock, but once you start OC, and start adding better cooling, crossfire etc. that 600W PSU isnt going to hold. my suggestion would be to go straight for something like the Corsair Professional HX850 and leave you a lot of room for future improvements.

as for the cooling, the H50 is decent. you are likely not going to get amazing OC with this, as its developed primarily for mainstream silent PCs. however, this is definetly better than the stock heatsink. definetly, if you are anyway serious about your PC, get rid of the stock cooling. however, to get great performance from water cooling, you are going to need to spend more money, performance/price ratio wise, air-cooling is still a better choice, with the same amount of money, you can either buy a really good air cooling, or an average water cooling.