Closed

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 or ASRock X58 EXTREME6

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • USB3
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
November 5, 2010 4:13:11 AM

Hey guys, I'm almost ready to order my new build - I think - but I've narrowed it down to two motherboards and I'm seeking feedback from folks with a lot more experience and know-how than myself.

I'll use the new rig for a variety of purposes, but one of the biggest is gaming. My cards will be twin PNY GTX 470s in SLI and my HDs will be two Crucial 128GB SSDs in RAID 0, with SATA3 connections (this helped narrow my selection of motherboards).

But I also want utility and future-proofing.

Anyway, there seem to be precious few motherboards with onboard USB 3.0 headers. I'm planning to get an AZZA Hurrican tower, which includes a USB 3.0 port on the front panel, and I'd like to be able to take full advantage of that front USB 3.0 interface (albeit in the future).

I had been going to order the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 and perhaps add a PCI-E USB 3.0 add-in card with at least one internal USB 3.0 header, but I see that this ASRock X58 EXTREME6 includes onboard USB 3.0. The double-wide PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots are kind of like gravy, too, and it appears to include full support for an i7 980X. In other words, it pretty much has all the features I want (I think).

But I've never heard of ASRock until I started shopping a week or ten days ago (though I've only built one rig prior). Do they have reliable stuff? How is their support?

Any recommendations? Thanks :) 

More about : gigabyte x58a ud5 asrock x58 extreme6

Best solution

a c 312 V Motherboard
November 5, 2010 6:00:26 PM

Hi.

The ASUS P6X58D-E has the same PCI-E lines that ASRock mobo with less price much better quality and a lot of features.

Regarding ASRock, is an ASUS company but not with the same quality and support that ASUS has.
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 5, 2010 7:11:49 PM

As much as I love my P6X58D-E ; it does NOT support ANY RAID on the SATA3.

Both the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 & GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R - do RAID horribly when mixed with SSD + HDD - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276715-30-x58a-ud3r-r...

So, the on-board RAID with SATA3; RAID {0}
1. MOBO of Choice + Dedicated RAID Controller ~ LSI
2. ASRock X58 EXTREME6
3. GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7 {doesn't 'seem' to have the RAID issues}

Otherwise just accept a 'peak-only' loss of SATA2 {355 MB/s vs 265 MB/s}; I run the C300 with a Dedicated RAID that cost ~ the same as the MOBO. ANY on-board RAID - period - is crap and you'll NEVER see the top speeds vs a Dedicated RAID.

You're wanting to play with the big boys! Most importantly, none of these MOBO's make any sense with $1,000 CPU + $600 SSDs + $500~$600 SLI GPUs??

Instead, I would look at:
GA-X58A-UD9
EVGA X58 Classified3 |141-GT-E770-A1
ASUS Rampage III Extreme
Score
Related resources
November 12, 2010 1:21:06 AM

Best answer selected by Clive Staples.
Score
a c 136 V Motherboard
November 12, 2010 9:13:26 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar