Sign in with
Your question

I5-3570k

Last response: in Overclocking
January 10, 2013 4:17:31 AM

Here is the build ordered and am recieving soon.

Intel Core i5-3570K
MSI Z77A-GD55
Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-650
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Kingston HyperX 8GB 2x4 1600
EVGA Superclocked Signature 2 GTX 680 2GB
Rosewill THOR v2 Full Tower

only one 1920x1080 not going for eyefinity/surround again because I didn't like it =0

I previously had an identical build with a 2500k and the OC GENIE I on the MOBO worked great and got me to like 4.2 GHZ with one button.

This MOBO has OC GENIE 2 and I was wondering on opinions because I have never manually OC'ed before.

Also opinion on my parts I ordered. I figured this card was faster than 7970 ghz editions from what I read at the $500 price area.

I play all the newest games and am wanting all the eye candy. I also mod Skyrim with over 30GB of mods :3 so it is a big hog.

Anyways! Basically am I going to even need to to OC my processor? When I OC'ed my 2500k with a Radeon 6950 2GB Stock I gained like 5 FPS on BF3 and Skyrim allowed me to put on some more goodies..

This all costed me $1070.00 if you wondered price too.

More about : 3570k

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 5:18:53 AM

Very nice build!! No, you don't need to overclock it. But since you have a nice unlocked K series processor with an aftermarket cpu cooler, why not?

OC Genie 1 and 2 is ok. Most people would recommend overclocking manually because not all chips are the same. With a manual overclock you'll be able to find the lowest voltage your cpu needs which in turn will yield lower core temps versus using OC Genie.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 8:09:43 AM

You will get more FPS by overclocking... Especially MINIMUM FPS (some games more than others). The cooler you have probably won't take you past 4.3-4.4, maybe slightly higher if you want to push it that hard.

Everything looks good (not so sure on power supply).

I would steer clear from overclocking software. It often sends more voltage than necessary to your CPU, and ivy bridge runs exceptionally hot. With that cheap cooler I wouldn't send more voltage than you need to.

I have the same cooler, and @ 4.4ghz I hit mid 80C during stress tests. If you get a better chip you can get to 4.4 with less voltage than I need and thus, less heat.
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2013 8:18:42 AM

Was the Frio Thermtake cooler a better choice?

I thought this cooler was great for OC'ing from reviews =(
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 9:37:11 AM

uprootedseeker said:

I don't think he meant it like that. The Hyper 212 Evo is fantastic, one of the best heatsinks, and its within like 8 degrees celcius of the DH-14. You can hit around 4.4 GHZ on a 3570k with a Hyper 212 Evo.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2013 5:30:33 AM

uprootedseeker said:

No, I think the EVO is a good choice, and thats why I bought one ;) 

I am simply saying that your temperatures will limit your CPU overclock in the end.

You will have a smoking fast system - especially if you overclock your CPU to 4.2-4.4GHZ. I can't imagine you will be disappointed one bit :) 

If you spend another 100$ on a cooler, you may be able to get that chip a little higher - maybe 4.5-4.6GHZ. On the other hand, you might get a CPU that is not the best (like me) and your 100$ will be wasted.

Save your money towards your next GPU upgrade in a few years... That will be a better investment.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2013 5:32:01 AM

And plus, running at 1920X1080 - that GTX 680 is going to absolutely destroy anything you throw at it ;) 
m
l
!