I5-3570k

Here is the build ordered and am recieving soon.

Intel Core i5-3570K
MSI Z77A-GD55
Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-650
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Kingston HyperX 8GB 2x4 1600
EVGA Superclocked Signature 2 GTX 680 2GB
Rosewill THOR v2 Full Tower

only one 1920x1080 not going for eyefinity/surround again because I didn't like it =0

I previously had an identical build with a 2500k and the OC GENIE I on the MOBO worked great and got me to like 4.2 GHZ with one button.

This MOBO has OC GENIE 2 and I was wondering on opinions because I have never manually OC'ed before.

Also opinion on my parts I ordered. I figured this card was faster than 7970 ghz editions from what I read at the $500 price area.

I play all the newest games and am wanting all the eye candy. I also mod Skyrim with over 30GB of mods :3 so it is a big hog.

Anyways! Basically am I going to even need to to OC my processor? When I OC'ed my 2500k with a Radeon 6950 2GB Stock I gained like 5 FPS on BF3 and Skyrim allowed me to put on some more goodies..

This all costed me $1070.00 if you wondered price too.
6 answers Last reply
More about 3570k
  1. Very nice build!! No, you don't need to overclock it. But since you have a nice unlocked K series processor with an aftermarket cpu cooler, why not?

OC Genie 1 and 2 is ok. Most people would recommend overclocking manually because not all chips are the same. With a manual overclock you'll be able to find the lowest voltage your cpu needs which in turn will yield lower core temps versus using OC Genie.
  2. You will get more FPS by overclocking... Especially MINIMUM FPS (some games more than others). The cooler you have probably won't take you past 4.3-4.4, maybe slightly higher if you want to push it that hard.

Everything looks good (not so sure on power supply).

I would steer clear from overclocking software. It often sends more voltage than necessary to your CPU, and ivy bridge runs exceptionally hot. With that cheap cooler I wouldn't send more voltage than you need to.

I have the same cooler, and @ 4.4ghz I hit mid 80C during stress tests. If you get a better chip you can get to 4.4 with less voltage than I need and thus, less heat.
  3. Was the Frio Thermtake cooler a better choice?

I thought this cooler was great for OC'ing from reviews =(
  4. uprootedseeker said:
    Was the Frio Thermtake cooler a better choice?

I don't think he meant it like that. The Hyper 212 Evo is fantastic, one of the best heatsinks, and its within like 8 degrees celcius of the DH-14. You can hit around 4.4 GHZ on a 3570k with a Hyper 212 Evo.
  5. uprootedseeker said:
    Was the Frio Thermtake cooler a better choice?

No, I think the EVO is a good choice, and thats why I bought one ;)

I am simply saying that your temperatures will limit your CPU overclock in the end.

You will have a smoking fast system - especially if you overclock your CPU to 4.2-4.4GHZ. I can't imagine you will be disappointed one bit :)

If you spend another 100$ on a cooler, you may be able to get that chip a little higher - maybe 4.5-4.6GHZ. On the other hand, you might get a CPU that is not the best (like me) and your 100$ will be wasted.

Save your money towards your next GPU upgrade in a few years... That will be a better investment.
  6. And plus, running at 1920X1080 - that GTX 680 is going to absolutely destroy anything you throw at it ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i5 Overclocking