Transfering OS onto SSD.

Gundown64

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I purchased a 32gb Patriot SSD and I plan on transferring my Windows 7 Home Premium OS that is on my HDD now onto the SSD if possible. I thought that it was, but I am becoming more confused the more I read about this. I was going to use Paragon Migrate OS to SSD, but because I have such a small SSD, I am not sure what files I should transfer over to the SSD, if I even can. Any insight on that? I could even simply do a fresh install of the OS onto the SSD if needed.

Also, about the AHCI. I can only change ports 1-4 and 5-6 to AHCI. I can't do them separately. Can my HDD and optical drive be ran on AHCI? From some of the reading I have done it doesn't seem like that is possible. If not, how do I go about changing only my SSD to AHCI and not the other drives? Thanks in advance!

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I'd recommend a full reinstall of Windows 7 onto the SSD. When the install finishes, open the properties for each of the folders in your user directory and change them to a location on your HDD. All of your drives can be run just fine on AHCI.

Gundown64

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
So I can go ahead and change those drives to AHCI without any problems? Then simply do a fresh install of W7 and change user directories and that's it?

EDIT- Hmm. Ok, seems simple enough. There weer so many conflicting forum posts I just wasn't sure. Thanks for the info.

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

I suggest you'd better do a fresh install on SSD, before installing the os you'd must turn on AHCI in your BIOS (HDD is use the IDE). If you insist do a migration, as I know the True image from Acronis could do this. And most SSD OZM recommed do that. ( but I still recommend do a fresh install)