Solved

Transfering OS onto SSD.

I purchased a 32gb Patriot SSD and I plan on transferring my Windows 7 Home Premium OS that is on my HDD now onto the SSD if possible. I thought that it was, but I am becoming more confused the more I read about this. I was going to use Paragon Migrate OS to SSD, but because I have such a small SSD, I am not sure what files I should transfer over to the SSD, if I even can. Any insight on that? I could even simply do a fresh install of the OS onto the SSD if needed.

Also, about the AHCI. I can only change ports 1-4 and 5-6 to AHCI. I can't do them separately. Can my HDD and optical drive be ran on AHCI? From some of the reading I have done it doesn't seem like that is possible. If not, how do I go about changing only my SSD to AHCI and not the other drives? Thanks in advance!
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about transfering
  1. I'd recommend a full reinstall of Windows 7 onto the SSD. When the install finishes, open the properties for each of the folders in your user directory and change them to a location on your HDD. All of your drives can be run just fine on AHCI.
  2. Best answer
    Yor HDD for sure can run on ACHI! The best way is to do a fresh install with your OS HDD disconnected and then load all hardware drivers.
    Use the tweaks in here for defaulting user files and installs to you storage drive http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-articles-part
  3. So I can go ahead and change those drives to AHCI without any problems? Then simply do a fresh install of W7 and change user directories and that's it?

EDIT- Hmm. Ok, seems simple enough. There weer so many conflicting forum posts I just wasn't sure. Thanks for the info.
  4. Gundown64 said:
    I purchased a 32gb Patriot SSD and I plan on transferring my Windows 7 Home Premium OS that is on my HDD now onto the SSD if possible. I thought that it was, but I am becoming more confused the more I read about this. I was going to use Paragon Migrate OS to SSD, but because I have such a small SSD, I am not sure what files I should transfer over to the SSD, if I even can. Any insight on that? I could even simply do a fresh install of the OS onto the SSD if needed.

Also, about the AHCI. I can only change ports 1-4 and 5-6 to AHCI. I can't do them separately. Can my HDD and optical drive be ran on AHCI? From some of the reading I have done it doesn't seem like that is possible. If not, how do I go about changing only my SSD to AHCI and not the other drives? Thanks in advance!

I suggest you'd better do a fresh install on SSD, before installing the os you'd must turn on AHCI in your BIOS (HDD is use the IDE). If you insist do a migration, as I know the True image from Acronis could do this. And most SSD OZM recommed do that. ( but I still recommend do a fresh install)
  5. Best answer selected by Gundown64.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD Windows 7 Storage