Sign in with
Your question

Intel i5 750 or AMD Phenom™II X6 1055T

Last response: in CPUs
May 18, 2010 8:38:01 PM

Hello!

i am going to get a computer, but i wanted to know. sure i get a I5 750 or a AMD Phenom™II X6 1055T?

im going to use it mostly for gaming.

also which is better for overclocking?

please reply, thanks

yogman
May 18, 2010 8:42:23 PM

Might be worth searching the cpu section or looking down a bit / onto the next page, there's been at least 3 other topics on exactly the same thing in the last few days, just to save you some time waiting for an answer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 8:45:34 PM

The following gaming performance comparisons may be worth your looking over:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-...

In general they perform pretty similarly, with the AMD having the advantage in multi-threaded apps although this won't be that noticeable in gaming since most games won't fully utilise 6 cores. Both should overclock well.

My recommendation would be if they are at a similar price range then go for the 1055T. The extra cores would give you better performance in multi-tasking and any other applications you may use which fully utilise multiple threads etc. It also has the benefit of guaranteeing you that little bit extra for the future.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 11:02:14 PM

The new PII X6 1055T is probably a great CPU overall. But I'm extremely happy with my i5-750. Overclocked to 4Ghz easily when paired with my Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P motherboard (there's a newer P55A version out now).

Early benchmarks I saw seemed to show the i5-750 as being fairly comparable to the PII X6, which to me is kind of sad considering the i5 is technically older, and runs at a slower clock speed. :) 

Intel still has an edge.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 11:12:28 PM

moody89 said:
The following gaming performance comparisons may be worth your looking over:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-...

In general they perform pretty similarly, with the AMD having the advantage in multi-threaded apps although this won't be that noticeable in gaming since most games won't fully utilise 6 cores. Both should overclock well.

My recommendation would be if they are at a similar price range then go for the 1055T. The extra cores would give you better performance in multi-tasking and any other applications you may use which fully utilise multiple threads etc. It also has the benefit of guaranteeing you that little bit extra for the future.

I see Anandtech OC'd their 1090T to 4Ghz. Would be interesting to see some benchmark comparisons between the 1055T and i5-750 at different clock speeds (but being equal) just to compare actual horsepower. Considering the i5-750, according to Anandtech's charts, beat the 1055T in their gaming benchmarks. And that was i5 @ 2.66Ghz and 1055T @ 2.8Ghz.

BadCompany2 would be a fun benchmark to use considering it is multi-core aware.
m
l
!