Intel i5 750 or AMD Phenom™II X6 1055T

Hello!

i am going to get a computer, but i wanted to know. sure i get a I5 750 or a AMD Phenom™II X6 1055T?

im going to use it mostly for gaming.

also which is better for overclocking?

please reply, thanks

yogman
4 answers Last reply
More about intel phenom 1055t
  1. Might be worth searching the cpu section or looking down a bit / onto the next page, there's been at least 3 other topics on exactly the same thing in the last few days, just to save you some time waiting for an answer.
  2. The following gaming performance comparisons may be worth your looking over:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed/9

In general they perform pretty similarly, with the AMD having the advantage in multi-threaded apps although this won't be that noticeable in gaming since most games won't fully utilise 6 cores. Both should overclock well.

My recommendation would be if they are at a similar price range then go for the 1055T. The extra cores would give you better performance in multi-tasking and any other applications you may use which fully utilise multiple threads etc. It also has the benefit of guaranteeing you that little bit extra for the future.
  3. The new PII X6 1055T is probably a great CPU overall. But I'm extremely happy with my i5-750. Overclocked to 4Ghz easily when paired with my Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P motherboard (there's a newer P55A version out now).

Early benchmarks I saw seemed to show the i5-750 as being fairly comparable to the PII X6, which to me is kind of sad considering the i5 is technically older, and runs at a slower clock speed. :)

Intel still has an edge.
  4. moody89 said:
    The following gaming performance comparisons may be worth your looking over:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed/9

In general they perform pretty similarly, with the AMD having the advantage in multi-threaded apps although this won't be that noticeable in gaming since most games won't fully utilise 6 cores. Both should overclock well.

My recommendation would be if they are at a similar price range then go for the 1055T. The extra cores would give you better performance in multi-tasking and any other applications you may use which fully utilise multiple threads etc. It also has the benefit of guaranteeing you that little bit extra for the future.

I see Anandtech OC'd their 1090T to 4Ghz. Would be interesting to see some benchmark comparisons between the 1055T and i5-750 at different clock speeds (but being equal) just to compare actual horsepower. Considering the i5-750, according to Anandtech's charts, beat the 1055T in their gaming benchmarks. And that was i5 @ 2.66Ghz and 1055T @ 2.8Ghz.

BadCompany2 would be a fun benchmark to use considering it is multi-core aware.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computer AMD Intel i5