Sign in with
Your question

Indigo Extreme installation HELP!!!!

Last response: in Overclocking
January 10, 2013 8:58:00 AM

Hello everyone,
This is my first post on tomshardware so if i make any mistakes please excuse me. Also English is not my first language so please try to understand what i'm saying :p 

Here are my specs:
CPU: i7 3770K
Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB
GPU: MSI GTX 680 Lightning
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 1000W
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Scout 2

Ok so I just bought the indigo extreme 1155/1156 2 packs from PCCASEGEAR for $25. I followed the instruction step by step. I cleaned the Integrated Heatsink on the CPU with the cleaning solution provided by Indigo Xtreme. I did the same thing to the waterblock (or the pump i don't know what it is called, the one that you stick onto your CPU :D ). Ok so they were both cleaned. I put the CPU back onto the mobo, peeled the bottom label on the indigo xtreme, aligned the blue lines so that it fit the CPU, pressed it down so that it stuck then peeled the top label. After that I put the h100i back into its position, plugged everything in and then i booted the computer.

I ran prime95 (this is at stock clock) with my h100i disabled so that the indigo could reflow. It clearly stated on the instruction that the temperature would peak at ~85, 90*C and then it would slowly go back down. Mine however shot straight up to ~100, 105*C (I was like HOLY SH**!!!!!) and it never went back down even after 20 minutes. It just stayed there hovering around 100, 105*C. I was so scared that i would damage the chip so i turned it off hoping that the indigo had finished its reflow.

I waited for a couple of minutes for the CPU to cool down (I could feel that it was VERY HOT when i put my finger near the CPU). Turned the PC back on, this time with the h100i enabled. Idle temp was about 35*C which was odd because before i bought the indigo my idle temp was just about 27*C (this was the stock thermal paste that came with the h100i).

Here is a comparison between before buying indigo and after buying indigo:

Before:
@ 3.8Ghz: idle temp: 27*C
load temp: 63*C
@ 4.3Ghz (+0.005V Additional Turbo Voltage): idle temp: 27*C
load temp: 65*C
passed prime test 24 hours straight no problem whatsoever

After:
@ 3.8Ghz: idle temp: 35*C
load temp: 95*C!!!!!!!!!
@ 4.3Ghz (+0.005V Additional Turbo Voltage): idle temp: 35*C
load temp: 105*C!!!!!!!!
failed prime test after 10 seconds

And there you have it. I should have been content with what i already have shouldn't i? LoL. So is there something wrong with the indigo? Did i do something wrong? Did i damage my chip (i don't want to even think about this hahaha)? Anything comment or opinion is welcome. Thanks guys :) 

PS: I got rid of the 1st one. It looked like the thing on the top didn't melt, only the side melted. I had a hard time trying to get rid of that
a c 225 K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 9:53:52 AM

Indigo extreme is nothing more than controlled flow liquid metal, and in my opinion if you were going the liquid metal route you would want to be 100% assured of even coverage across the CPU for best results, not relying on super heating your CPU for it to evenly flow.

Didn't you buy your water cooling setup to stay far away from those temperature levels and this product has to reach those temperatures you do not want to see your CPU even reach, to even properly seat?

And then after the fact, removing it!

Actually I'm surprised the company behind Indigo Extreme is still in business selling that product, simply because of the lawsuits for CPU damage they could face from those simply following their installation instructions.

The liquid metal products were tested in my Thermal Compound Roundup give it a read and after you've checked it out get yourself some Timtronics Grey Ice 4200.

I guarantee, you won't be disappointed! :) 
!