Now that I finished T3 - My honest opinion of the whole ga..

Of course, having played T1 and 2 and all those FM's so many times in
the past few years, I feel I could, like some of you guys, call myself
a true blue Thief fanatic... Both Thief 1 and 2 were more or less
identical, just different episodes of the smae continuing saga. It
took me a while to accept the metal mickeys (robots) in T2 but apart
from that, both games were magnetic in their content and I never
wanted to simply quit from having played too much, like I did with
many other games when you simply reach the point of saturation...

Then came T3...

Realizing that T3 was made with other companies involved, I expected
it to be a completely new up-market hyped up game that had little
resemblance to its parent game(s)... It took me a while to get used to
the new bow, then new style blackjack and having a dagger instead of
the good old sword but at some point about a third of the way into the
game, I realized that I no longer dwelled on these points. I simply
played the game as per its original intention. Bits and pieces of the
old game(s) were inserted into this one to remind you of its heritage.
Memorials, statues, tombs were strategically placed to let you know
that T2 was indeed imbedded into T3's roots and that the legacy was
merely continuing, albeit along a slightly different path than before.

Toward the end, I felt T3 wandered a little with old hags and stone
warriors starting to enter the picture but the occult type of feeling
of demons and ghouls were reasonably well done and I guess Garrett
always had a destiny, it's just he had to find it and like all others
who eventually find their destiny, he had to follow the already walked
trail as best he could.

It's a bit of a shame that the games graphics were a letdown,, in that
you had to have a reasonably high spec PC/graphics card to exploit
them. I simply can't see the point of this type of thinking, as many
of us have "ordinary" or "average" PC's and can never really go to
maximum settings in any game and by the time we get a PC which can,
the game is long since out-of-date,, so it's a bit of a shame we
couldn't have seen T3 in all its glory. I feel that may many companies
which realease games of a similar nature, rather let many gameplayers
down by aiming at the top end few... Great graphics and textures are
one thing but actually being able to play the game you just bought is
another issue altogether... Still,, I guess most games face that same
dilema = "better graphics or frame rates"...!!!

One slight issue came to mind with the voice accents and some of the
sayings... I mean, I heard lots of American accents and yet I heard
sayings like "Bloody Hell" which is distinctly British (or at least
non American), right throughout the entire game.. I don't get into
studying games,, I just play them.. I therefore am a bit lost as to
where this Garrett fellow actually comes from and what part of the
world this all takes place in... Still, as I said, it's only a slight
issue,, BUT,, if it was a movie it would be heavily criticised, one
way or the other,, and,, let's face it, computer games are a huge
industry now and games are virtually ineractive movies on your PC, so
maybe they should attempt to get it "more right" next time...

All in all, I got right into the game and found it plenty enjoyable.
Am I glad I went out of my way to find this game at PC shop 20 miles
away - YES...!!!

Overall score...9 out of 10...

What about you guys...???

Gez

I more or less agree. I liked it, and was relieved that it wasn't the
disaster that
a lot of people were predicting. I'd have like a couple of more "thievy"
levels,
and somewhere cool to show off the climbing gloves.
If an editor ever sees the light of day I think it may secure this as a
truly great
game.

ike

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2003

I've played Thief 1 and 2 more times than I can remember. There is
just something about it that clicks with me. I feel Thief 3 lives up
to the reputation of the previous two and I look forward to playing it
again and again.

One of my favorite pastimes in 1 & 2 was to get rid of all opponents
(especially by having them chase me into an area populated by other
opponents that were natural enemies to each other, like zombies and
burricks) and go exploring with the rope arrow. It's the one thing I
really miss in 3. I find the gloves to be limited in that any ledge
will stop you and some walls won't let you grip.

In message <2d5jf0lb2b9uuckicb5ven0ci3igt0qgsk@4ax.com>, Bruce Tyler
<top@bottom.au> writes
> I therefore am a bit lost as to
>where this Garrett fellow actually comes from and what part of the
>world this all takes place in... Still, as I said, it's only a slight
>issue,, BUT,, if it was a movie it would be heavily criticised, one
>way or the other,, and,, let's face it, computer games are a huge
>industry now and games are virtually ineractive movies on your PC, so
>maybe they should attempt to get it "more right" next time...

In the movie sense, more right how? It's never seemed to me that Thief
takes place on Earth. It's 'elsewhere', in Generic Fantasy Space, where
zombies, rat men, wizards and walking trees are all normal. I was quite
happy with the variety of accents (to me, it sounds as if there's a few
Aussies there, too) because they were, well, just accents. Everyone got
to do sound like *something*:)

Hollywood has been quite happy with a Scotsman commanding a Russian
nuclear sub and an American playing a medieval English outlaw, so I
doubt the T3 would be seriously faulted on this issue.
--
Terry Pratchett

Ike wrote:

> One of my favorite pastimes in 1 & 2 was to get rid of all opponents
> (especially by having them chase me into an area populated by other
> opponents that were natural enemies to each other, like zombies and
> burricks) [...]

Try the Sunken Citadel again.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath

Ike <spamminator@spamminator.com> writes:

> I find the gloves to be limited in that any ledge
> will stop you and some walls won't let you grip.

I have found very few places where the gloves really are useful.
Sure, there are places I can go to with the gloves, but not that many
useful places such as alternate routes past the guards. They do exist
though, just not as many as there were with the rope arrows as I recall.

--
Darin Johnson
Caution! Under no circumstances confuse the mesh with the

ike

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2003

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:04:55 GMT Anders Thulin
<ath_no_spam_please@algonet.se> wrote :

>Ike wrote:
>
>> One of my favorite pastimes in 1 & 2 was to get rid of all opponents
>> (especially by having them chase me into an area populated by other
>> opponents that were natural enemies to each other, like zombies and
>> burricks) [...]
>
> Try the Sunken Citadel again.

Already been there, done that. <grin> It was a hoot. I just love to
help new aquaintenances meet.

ike

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2003

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:50:36 -0700 Ike <spamminator@spamminator.com>
wrote :

>On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:04:55 GMT Anders Thulin
><ath_no_spam_please@algonet.se> wrote :
>
>>Ike wrote:
>>
>>> One of my favorite pastimes in 1 & 2 was to get rid of all opponents
>>> (especially by having them chase me into an area populated by other
>>> opponents that were natural enemies to each other, like zombies and
>>> burricks) [...]
>>
>> Try the Sunken Citadel again.
>
>Already been there, done that. <grin> It was a hoot. I just love to
>help new aquaintenances meet.

I should add that Thief 1 & 2 had many more opportunities to do this
as I remember.

In article <n8jqf018rai60qbnlh9fj87kslfhv6sc00@4ax.com>, Ike
<spamminator@spamminator.com> wrote:

> (especially by having them chase me into an area populated by other
> opponents that were natural enemies to each other, like zombies and
> burricks)

Wait, zombies and burricks fight it out??? Cool!

I knew Hammers "bring the Builder's wratch" down on zombies, but I
didn't know about Burricks.

I miss Burricks.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe: