Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell Mobo compatibility for CPU upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
May 18, 2010 9:07:58 PM

Greetings!

I've searched the forums and can't find posts that mention the mobo manufacturer being DELL.

I would like to know what is the fastest CPU upgrade I can buy for my current motherboard:

Manufacturer : Dell Inc.
Mainboard : Dell 0RY206
Bios : Dell Inc.
Chipset :nVidia GeForce 6100V*
*CPU-Z lists the chipset as NVIDIA MCP61

I am currently using

Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+

With power supply:
Turbo-Cool 860 ESA
http://www.pcpower.com/products/description/Turbo_Cool_...

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks for you help!
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 9:17:05 PM

As far as I'm aware Dell do not manufacture their own motherboards. They tend to have them manufactured by other companies specifically for Dell usage and are often re-branded or renamed to a different model number. Do you know the model name/number of your Dell system?
m
l
May 18, 2010 9:19:07 PM

That was my suspicion, but neither everest nor any cpuid programs could tell me who really made my mobo.

It's a DELL INSPIRON 531 (I think 531 - S unless the S means slim, as it is NOT the slim version).

Edit after more expert google-ing:

Manufacturer: Intel ( OEM for Dell Inspiron 531 )
Dell Part #: RY206 0RY206
Socket: AM2
Expansion Slots: PCI: 2 Slots / PCIe x1: 1 Slot / PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 Slots
Connectors: (4) Back USB Ports, Network LAN
Video: Onboard
Audio: Onboard
Supported Memory: DDR2
Maximum Memory: 4 Dual Channel DIMM
m
l
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
May 18, 2010 9:32:49 PM

It's probably made by foxconn or asus. I recommend a 6150se micro-atx board to use am3 cpus up to 95 watts. They are dirt cheap used and some are free with combo specials at frys electronics in store only. I have two used ones I haven't been able to sell due to my local frys deals, but they were almost free, so I can't complain.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 9:34:34 PM

From what I can find, it's an ASUS M2N61-AX motherboard that was built specifically for Dell. It's an AM2 socket board so it could be compatible with the latest AMD chips although you would have to make some sacrifices with Hypertransport etc. That being said, a BIOS update would be essential and knowing Dell that will probably be hard work if even at all possible. I have even heard that some Dells have a BIOS lock on them so it looks like you're out of luck there really. It probably wouldn't be worth you grabbing a new processor unless you were also willing to upgrade the motherboard with it. And that in itself could lead to more problems...that's the thing with having everything Dell!
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 9:36:11 PM

o1die said:
It's probably made by foxconn or asus. I recommend a 6150se micro-atx board to use am3 cpus up to 95 watts. They are dirt cheap used and some are free with combo specials at frys electronics in store only. I have two used ones I haven't been able to sell due to my local frys deals, but they were almost free, so I can't complain.

Assuming, the OP also wants to keep his/her current RAM then an AM2+ board would be needed to support DDR2.
m
l
May 18, 2010 9:43:38 PM

Ok great, moody, thanks for your perspective.

One of the options I've been considering is a whole new motherboard (And CPU case) already anyway since I upgraded to the nVidia GTX 295 about a year ago.

I will go on record to say I'm finished with Dell - I've had so many problems with this BIOS and my Creative X-Fi card...

Do you have any insight on going Intel instead of AMD?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 9:48:43 PM

That option may be well worth your effort in the long run - building your own system is usually a better idea for several reasons, upgradeability being a main one.

Intel vs AMD usually comes down to a matter of budget and what you need to do with your system. Intel have the better performing CPUs but with AMD you often get more value for your money and a better price/performance ratio. Give some idea of how much you're willing to spend on a new case/motherboard/processor and what you use your system for and we can go from there. Also, do you intend to keep your current DDR2 memory or will you be looking to go DDR3?
m
l
May 18, 2010 9:59:43 PM

Well a couple hundred for a mobo and another couple hundred for a nice case with lots of cooling options are a given.

the DDR2 memory I got cheaply so I wouldn't mind going to DDR3 for a current mobo.

As far as processors go, I see the extreme intel i7 right now is like a grand. I'm really into gaming but I'm not sure my wife would appreciate a grand.

Since I won't have to upgrade my graphics card for a while (it's been fine for everything I play), I'd say a few hundred to not much more than $500 I'd go for a processor right now.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 10:18:43 PM

At that budget you're looking at probably an i7 920 or 930 CPU with a good X58 chipset ATX motherboard. Have a look on Newegg for some combos on CPU/Mobo since you can usually get some great deals. Make sure to read plenty of reviews (both technical and user) on a motherboard before you buy.

For a case, the Antec 900, 900II, 1200 and the Coolermaster HAF 932 are about the favourites on these forums and you won't go far wrong with any of them...its more down to personal preference here.

For that setup you are capable of triple-channel RAM so 3x2GB sticks to give you 6GB in total would be recommended. High-speed and low latency timings are the things to look for. Best of luck!
May 18, 2010 10:25:30 PM

Thanks a lot, appreciate the help! :) 

Here's to hoping all that doesn't mean a new power supply! :) 
m
l
May 26, 2010 3:50:53 PM

Best answer selected by kylehume.
m
l
!