Sign in with
Your question

Please help me guy's!

Last response: in Components
May 18, 2010 9:43:01 PM

Hi guy's,
I'm pretty noob when it comes to PC's so please be a little patient with me...

1st of all my build...

intel i7 core 920 (CPU)
Asus P6T SE (MB)
ATI Radeon 4590 HD (GPU)
6 GB DDR3 (Ram)
850w (PSU)
Windows Vista Ultimate.

Secondly, my problem...

In a nut shell, "it's crashing", big time!

I play 'Age of Conan' and basically within 5 - 10 minutes my PC just restarts.

I have tried to slim down the cause of why it's keeping on restarting, but sadly, I've not really gotten to far.

I can tell you that "it's not down to overheating", atleast not on the CPU or GPU. I've been monitoring the temp whilst the crashing has been more frequant, and it has been crashing whilst the GPU is around 70c and the CPU 55c.

I have tried things like playing my game with the minimum spec needed to run the game, and still it crashes. I've run the game with MAX spec and plays smooth but still crahes after the same amount of time. Some times if I'm lucky, I can stay in the game for about 2-3 hours but once it starts, it's a waste of time trying to go back in the game after the restart.

When I enter the game, at time's, when I know I'm gunna get isssues, I hear a very-faint bleep/click from inside my PC unit. I can't track exactly where it's coming from, but I'm aware it's there and it's related to the problem im having. As in the game, after I hear it, I get the screen freeze for about 1 min before going back to normal.

Also it does this with other games. Like Modern Warefare 2 and Bully. With Bully I had to play this game in 640x480 res. Anything higher and it crashed like "Age of Conan", but alot quicker.

Another strange thing I've noticed... My CPU fan has started to get a little eratic. Whilst out of the game, on my desktop, it keeps going from 2000rpm upto 2600rpm then back. It does this about 2-3 times a minute.

I have even foratted my HD as I was convinced it was a software problem(which it still may be). But the the problem is still around!

So please guy's, if you could shed a little of your knolledge this way, i'd be very greatfull!

Thank-you!

More about : guy

a b ) Power supply
May 18, 2010 10:02:22 PM

It sounds very much like an overheating or a PSU issue. What software are you using to keep an eye on your temps? HWMonitor from CPUID is a handy utility for this purpose:

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

I know you said you were sure it wasn't overheating but the point you mentioned about your CPU fan strongly suggests it. You can never be too sure.

As I mentioned a PSU issue could also be the source of the problem. What make and model is your PSU and how old is it? Failing or poor quality PSUs tend to be incapable of delivering enough power to your components, particularly during intense periods of high load such as games. This could be the reason for your restarting. Post back and we'll go from there.
May 18, 2010 10:22:23 PM

Hi Moody,

I've had this PC sinse October, last year. It was made from all new components.
The Power suply is 'Alpha Power - Model No: ATX 850'.

As for monitoring my Temps... I monitor my GPU via 'Catalyst Control Centre' and monitor my CPU via a utility that come on the MB cdrom. It's called 'PC Probe II - v1.04.72.

The heatsink on my CPU is a 'Akasa AK-965 Intel Core 2 Duo Heatsink'.

Can be vieed here;
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2137&page=2
Related resources
May 18, 2010 11:43:20 PM

Pr3datoR said:
Hi Moody,

I've had this PC sinse October, last year. It was made from all new components.
The Power suply is 'Alpha Power - Model No: ATX 850'.

As for monitoring my Temps... I monitor my GPU via 'Catalyst Control Centre' and monitor my CPU via a utility that come on the MB cdrom. It's called 'PC Probe II - v1.04.72.

The heatsink on my CPU is a 'Akasa AK-965 Intel Core 2 Duo Heatsink'.

Can be vieed here;
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2137&page=2

hI
I dont know if it was working good before or something but im sure your psu is the culprit because eventhough it is 850W, its an unknown brand. i have done a little searching on this psu and i was shocked that a site was selling it for 30 gbp only. also in its description it had only 1 pci express cable. which proves that this is a very unreliable psu. u should be happy that your system isnt dead because these psu tend to die and also take your system with it. i suggest u change the psu. if u want to confirm then it might be good to run your system on a friend's psu. Next time you go for a psu chk the brand, efficiency, amp on +12V, and finally wattage. Hope i helped
May 18, 2010 11:51:17 PM

Hi Lordszone,

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that the PSU was like a cars timing belt. If it goes the rest goes with it!

And looking at the PSU (even from a noobies perspective), it does look a little shabby!

I'll check out some reviews and make sure I get one that's more than capable of doing the job!

Thank you.
May 18, 2010 11:54:09 PM

Pr3datoR said:
Hi Lordszone,

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that the PSU was like a cars timing belt. If it goes the rest goes with it!

And looking at the PSU (even from a noobies perspective), it does look a little shabby!

I'll check out some reviews and make sure I get one that's more than capable of doing the job!

Thank you.

Hi
I dont know about your future needs but i can suggest that any corsair psu will be fine. as of now, i think corsair tx650 will be enough and also will run any single vga card u upgrade in the future, even the ati radeon 5970.
May 18, 2010 11:58:05 PM

I made a error on my spec earlier.

I have Sli-e card - Radeon 4890 rather than the Radeon 4580 that I stated in my opening post. I don't know if that makes any difference to the advice you are offering me?

Thanks again.
May 19, 2010 12:03:34 AM

Pr3datoR said:
I made a error on my spec earlier.

I have Sli-e card - Radeon 4890 rather than the Radeon 4580 that I stated in my opening post. I don't know if that makes any difference to the advice you are offering me?

Thanks again.

Hi
Whats your budget?
Cause in crossfire i dont think corsair tx650 can run them. but yeah i think tx850 will be much better but will cost a bit more. if i were you, then save up some money and get corsair tx950 now and u will never have to worry about psu in the future. according to the corsair website it can run 3 gtx 480. so i think that is very good. yeah it will cost u some cash but its a one time investment type thingy :)  . one thing that i have seen is that this corsair tx950 is quite cheap in its range but is considered as one of the best psu, stable and solid.
May 19, 2010 12:24:34 AM

Hi,
Think the 850/950 are a little out of my price range. I was looking at the 650W Corsair TX650 52A on 12V. If you think that would be more than enough to run what I have, I think I'll ivest in that one. It's going for £72 +£9 P&P.

£70 is really my limit. I don't really want to be forking out near £100 for a PSU with only 1 GPU. My SLi day's are well and truely over for now! :D 
May 19, 2010 8:12:22 AM

Pr3datoR said:
Hi,
Think the 850/950 are a little out of my price range. I was looking at the 650W Corsair TX650 52A on 12V. If you think that would be more than enough to run what I have, I think I'll ivest in that one. It's going for £72 +£9 P&P.

£70 is really my limit. I don't really want to be forking out near £100 for a PSU with only 1 GPU. My SLi day's are well and truely over for now! :D 

Hi
I dont think that corsair tx650 can run two 4890 in crossfire. y dont u go to corsair's website and there they have a psu calculator and use that. it will tell u which product is for u.
a b ) Power supply
May 19, 2010 3:24:09 PM

Quote:
ATI Radeon™ HD 4890 Series System power Requirements

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

tx650 might cut it close but look into
antec tp new 750
corsair 750
XFX 750
enermax 700
seasonic 750
May 20, 2010 4:57:36 PM

Thanks for info guy's...

I've just ordered the 'Corsair TX Series, 650 Watt, ATX, PS/2'. Should be with me tomorrow. Please god, let this be the solution to my problem!

I'm only going to be running 1 'Radeon HD 4890' so I recon this should be ok. Time will tell I guess.
May 20, 2010 5:01:54 PM

Pr3datoR said:
Thanks for info guy's...

I've just ordered the 'Corsair TX Series, 650 Watt, ATX, PS/2'. Should be with me tomorrow. Please god, let this be the solution to my problem!

I'm only going to be running 1 'Radeon HD 4890' so I recon this should be ok. Time will tell I guess.

Hi
Do let us know how things went with the new psu. for a single 4890 that psu is more than enough.
May 21, 2010 4:13:07 PM

Well guy's...

New PSU installed and not one crash :D 

Running sweet as a nut.

Been in the Game for about 45 mins @ full load and still no restart!

All I can say is "A big thank you" to those who posted and helped me out.

Kind regards

Pr3datoR
!