ASUS M5A97 R2.0 VERY STRANGE ISSUE NOW HAVING ...

clintwilks

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
dont know where to post this in one forum so im posting in asus, fx and overcloking sections ...sigh..issues im having with my 6870 performance since switching from the Biostar TA970Xe to the M5a97 and from the 965 BE to the 6300 these stress testing weird..never before seen by me... issues ive never seen before whatsoever...even when I first got this processor (these were not happening), that I'm seeing now, im about to pull some hair. HOPefully I get some replies because I have no clue what coujld be doing the following (thoghtit was overheat protection in one of my programs until i uninstalled coretemp, disabled all auto shut down/hibernate options in power settings in windows and in catalyst, etc..) Basically, what happens is, I begin a stress test (seems to either ONLY happen when NB is pushed to 2400 and beyond...or when my htlink is at 2400 (which is the default) and my NB is 2400 or above also) i begin testing, come back, and my display has crapped out and monitor gone into power save mode with the PC still running...same way it looks when its hibernating without suspending to RAM...but the keyboard or mouse doesnothing to bring it back, you have to power it off and on. (Even the reset button doesn't work when this happen) what's the problem here? my temp sensors on my NB getting too hot ??? because i've ran these settings before and made it through tests..now I cant. could i have screwed up something on my mobo? temp sensor or mosfet or whatever else tehre could be? dont even have a suggestion on wheree to go next for myself... bah. help :/

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
have you gone into the power management and changed the settings?

i.e. turn off the hibernation, the hard drive sleep, the monitor shut off. I would turn on the max power setting, and make the appropriate adjustments.

clintwilks

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

yeh..turned off everything like that...and although it appears to be sleeping or hibernating...the only way to get it to do anything is to restart the system. you cant get it out of whatever state it's in . it's like a freeze or the gpu just craps out but when restarted it comes back. idk. ive tried everything i know :(

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
hmm, well start from the beginning.

make sure all of your drivers, and bios are up to date. default your bios(if you changed anything), and see if shell run.

just need to start an elimination process.

drivers
power
hardware...

clintwilks

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
These settings are max ive found to pass 2hr stability with occt linpack and prime95 without my PC doing whatever it does with shutting the display down and staying powered on with no response from keyboard or mouse to bring it out of this "state"

200 x 22 _ 4400mhz @ 1.4v LLc ON
2200mhz northbridge @ 1.2v cpu/nb voltage
2400htlink (default and also Highest setting possible)
1600mhz ram @ 9 9 9 24 1.6v (default v is 1.5)
Latest bios revision and drivers installed. Have also tried earlier secure drivers and bios with similar results

Main problem: i have ss of verified 2hr occt linpack occt reg mode and 11hr p95 tests @ both 4.5 and 4.6ghz at 1.46v from week or 2 ago and can no longer achieve these result. This makes me think it is a hardware issue? Could it even be anything else? And what specifically could be causing this? Seems like hardware either works or fails...this seems like an "in between" in that it (seemingly) won't achieve same performance level previously obtained. Im fine to just scale it back and run it lower but, as many of you fellow oc/hardware tweakers know, that sucks.

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012

yeah i had the 970 be overclocked to 4.2ghz, for about a year. the all of a sudden it didnt like the voltage being raised any more. the cpu ran fine, i could oc it a little, just couldnt apply any more then default voltage. the risk you run when overclocking!

Ed Robinson

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Hello, sorry to hijack but I've recently been having problems with my asus m5a97 r2.0

Perhaps we could pool resources because I'm also pulling out my hair for 5 months, maybe there is something wrong with this board?

I understand if I need to make a new thread but this is the first time I have seen someone with the same board and issues.

iceman845

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I also have the same issue. Resume from sleep wipes out oc settings and messes up my default voltages. from a different website this guys says to do this :"solution is to disable hybrid sleep and use hibernate-now its working lovely even with offset voltage swapping between 0.918-1.416" I haven't tried it as i'm still gathering details.