pipes990

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
This is the first system I have ever started from scratch. I am 99% sure I have everything put together right. I plugged the power supply into the wall, switched it on, hit the power button and got nothing. I didn't make any noise at all. I am thinking bad power supply? Here is the system (I haven't hooked either of the hard drives to the motherboard yet):

Thermaltake Purepower 500w
Gigabyte: GA-790XTA - UD4
AMD Phenom II 955
NZXT Apollo Case
Gallaxy GeForce 9600 GT
Intel X25-5 80GB SSD
Samsung F3 1TB
4GB OCZ Platinum 1333

Have no idea what to try next.

Have you been through the standard troubleshooting checklist (link in my signature)? If not, do that.

If absolutely nothing spins up or lights up there are a few things that could have happened. 1.) You didn't plug everything in. Actually do everything in the checklist, don't just read it. 2.) The PSU is DOA. This could be likely as it's a POS. 3.) Your case is causing a short. 4.) The power button doesn't work.

Without knowing more details, we can't really guess which of these may be right.

phenom21

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
first of all plug in all hardware to the board...including hard drives....check the power button jumpers( in fact all jumpers ) the processor,hdd,and main power connector is tightly in place and properly inserted