Solved

Best airflow method for my case?

Hello,

I have bought a CM 690 II advanced case. It has 1x140mm at front, 1x140mm at top, 1x120mm at back fans

I'm thinking to buy these fans : 1) 2x140mm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition
2) 2x120mm Silverstone AP121

I am thinking to buy a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler with my 2x120mm Noctua 120mm NF-P12 fans mounted on them.

Here's the airflow diagram:

So, I have these slots to fill : 2xbottom(120mm), 2xside(140mm), 1xtop(140mm) with the other fans already fitted in the stock case.

Im looking at 1front+2bottom intake and other as exhausts. will it be a good cooling combination or do I need more intakes? If yes, where?

Also, Is push-pull config on cpu cooler is better than just 2 pull config?

Thanks for your time.

Regards!
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about best airflow method case
  1. Best answer
    You could place the 2 bottom intakes, and put one or two side fans. If you have more intakes you achieve positive pressure and the dust is more likely to stay out of the case, but the intakes should be filtered for that to work.
    Besides if you have more exhaust fans, the dust will be suck into your case and have a really bad time cleaning the dust filters or your hardware.

Having a push pull is better, but you will see only a little difference in temperatures.
  2. jrayx said:
    You could place the 2 bottom intakes, and put one or two side fans. If you have more intakes you achieve positive pressure and the dust is more likely to stay out of the case, but the intakes should be filtered for that to work.
    Besides if you have more exhaust fans, the dust will be suck into your case and have a really bad time cleaning the dust filters or your hardware.

Having a push pull is better, but you will see only a little difference in temperatures.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

The case has got dust filters all over the fan areas except for the side panel. Cleaning them wont be a big problem.

Hmm..I am confused, Intakes lets less dust into the case than exhausts?

Also, exhaust fans are crucial for good airflow/temperature control right? So, more exhaust fans or more intake fans?
  3. hitme987 said:
    Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

The case has got dust filters all over the fan areas except for the side panel. Cleaning them wont be a big problem.

Hmm..I am confused, Intakes lets less dust into the case than exhausts?

Also, exhaust fans are crucial for good airflow/temperature control right? So, more exhaust fans or more intake fans?

If you have more intake fans the air escapes out of the case and it won't let the dust to get into the case, but the intakes must have some kind of filter, like a mesh or something. But if you have more exhausts the dust is going to be sucked in quickly into the case.

Yeah you can put several exhausts (For the CPU) but leave more intakes with filter to have a positive air pressure. You can google it if it's not clear.
  4. That pretty much cleared everything. Thanks!
  5. Best answer selected by hitme987.
  6. with more fans forcing air into the case, you will obtain a positive pressure in the case. this causes the air to want to escape out of the exhaust vents, ad it will take dust particles with it.

HOWEVER, you will want to filter the intakes (so a minimal amount of dust is brought into the case), and remove the exhaust filters (so that any dust in the case can escape).
  7. Thanks for that tip!
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cases Cooling Overclocking