First build no video, keyboard lights, or beeps.

mrsimonman

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Just put my first homebuilt system together and I'm not getting any video.

All parts are new, GPU is from just before Christmas but hasn't been used, all other parts apart from DVD drive which has been cannibalised from an old system have just arrived.

CPU - i5 - 750
CPU HS - Zalman CNPS10X
RAM - Patriot Sector 5 G Series 4GB 2x2GB PC3-12800
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
PSU - OCZ ModXStream 600W Modular
GPU - Sapphire Radeon 5770 1GB
HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Case - Antec 300

I have tried the 5770 through the HDMI and through the DVI via a VGA cable through a DVI->VGA adapter and there was no video signal through either monitor used, tried another GPU, an ATI X1650SE, which worked earlier today with the same VGA via DVI->VGA adapter so I'm pretty sure it's not the GPU that's the problem.
I've made sure everything is plugged in correctly, GPU has the 6-pin connected, Mobo has 8-pin CPU and 20+4 pin connected, when power is turned on all fans spin properly, HDD and DVD drive both turn on, GPU periodically speeds up then slows down and gets warmer, CPU gets warm, so I don't think it's a PSU or forgotten cable problem either. I've run through the checklist and I'm sure that everything's in the right place, yet the system still refuses to send video signal and there are no lights on the USB keyboard. Any help would be great

amantonas

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Did you install the motherboard with the standoffs provided with the case? Most of the time, the motherboard will refuse to power up if you don't.

mrsimonman

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah I did I made sure to only use the nine that there were spaces for on the motherboard, and the mobo seems to be powering up, the CPU indicator lights at the top turn on with 1 and 2 green, the other two red/amber

medmn

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Check the bios to make sure you disabled on board video and enabled the video card - or you can plug video cable into board to see if you get video, this will also confirm board is working ok if you get video.

medmn

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
my bad no on board on the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3. I would still check the bios and make sure the video is there.

mrsimonman

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Hey everyone tried switching out the RAM modules and it's installing W7 as I type :D Guess I forgot that part *doh* Thanks a lot for your replies. If an admin could change this to Solved that'd be great.

TRENDING THREADS