Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire HD 7850 OC Edition. Computer freezes

Last response: in Overclocking
January 10, 2013 4:22:38 PM

Hi, I bought the Sapphire HD 7850 OC Edition. As soon as i plugged it in, I started experiencing freezes with videogames, such as Far Cry 3, Battlefield 3 etc. Those freezes don't happen when running 3D Mark (even after 4 hours of looping). I replaced the card with another one of the same model and the computer still freezes.

Here are the specs:

MB: Asus P8P67
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500
RAM: 4x2G DDR3-1333 (OCZ)
2 HDD + 1 Optical Drive
PSU: Nox Urano 500 W (specs)

None of the components is overclocked.

I guess the problem could be the PSU. Am I right? Strange thing is that the same rig runs fine with a Sapphire HD 4870, which is supposed to have a greater TDP.
January 11, 2013 6:44:29 AM

They recommend a 500w psu and mine is a 500 W psu. It has the pcie 6-pin connector too. It is able to run a hd4870 on the same setup, which requires two pcie connectors. Might the problem be connected to the "quality" of the psu, i.e. the voltages are non stable enough? And why would this happen with the hd 7850 and not with hd 4870?
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2013 1:12:45 PM

yeah you may want to check how many amps are on the 12v rail. that maybe your trouble.

the card may require 35 amps(or something)on the 12v rail, and your psu only provides 20 something.
January 11, 2013 1:28:13 PM

It has two rails : 18A and 17A respectively. Isn't that enough?
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2013 1:38:34 PM

yeah that should be good.

hmm, did you oc the card or is it at stock? i ask because, i had oc'ed my 6870, it pasted 3d mark, furmark all of them. when i went to play skyrim, if crashed. the game actually ran the card more then the test apps did.
January 11, 2013 1:45:37 PM

The card has stock oc, ie 960 vs 860 but it freezes also if I underclock to 860 or even 800
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2013 1:53:41 PM

hate to ask, but you did uninstall the old driver then then install card and then re install the driver?
January 11, 2013 5:51:39 PM

I did, also did a fresh install of Windows to make sure. I have some news. Today I tested the VGA on another computer, with Windows 7, a Cooler Master 600W modular psu. The VGA crashed after a couple of minutes. I guess that the VGA is not working properly.
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2013 10:34:32 PM

sorry to hear!
January 12, 2013 5:36:51 AM

buzz_lightyear said:
Hi, I bought the Sapphire HD 7850 OC Edition. As soon as i plugged it in, I started experiencing freezes with videogames, such as Far Cry 3, Battlefield 3 etc. Those freezes don't happen when running 3D Mark (even after 4 hours of looping). I replaced the card with another one of the same model and the computer still freezes.

Here are the specs:

MB: Asus P8P67
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500
RAM: 4x2G DDR3-1333 (OCZ)
2 HDD + 1 Optical Drive
PSU: Nox Urano 500 W (specs)

None of the components is overclocked.

I guess the problem could be the PSU. Am I right? Strange thing is that the same rig runs fine with a Sapphire HD 4870, which is supposed to have a greater TDP.

Hi,
I bought a HD7850 OC and had the problem of the screen freezing. I have now resolved the problem. My card is fitted to an Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard which has three PCI express x16 slots. By default all three slots are enabled and I was only using one slot for my graphics card. I went into the BIOS set up for the motherboard and set the PCI to x4 mode which disabled the two slots I was not using and allowed the one slot for the graphics card to run at its highest performance support as stated in my Sabertooth user guide. I hope your motherboard has a similar set up and it works for you.
Ian26
January 12, 2013 6:50:58 AM

This sounds interesting, but I think it doesn't apply to my system.
My motherboard has two PCIE x16 slots, but the second one shares resources with other PCIE slots and the USB3 controller. The card is connected to the first slot and the second one is empty. In the BIOS there is an option to set the x16_2 to x4 or x1, but it is set to Auto and is not editable. The manual states that the second slot will be set to x1 automatically to free system resources.
January 13, 2013 6:13:00 AM

buzz_lightyear said:
This sounds interesting, but I think it doesn't apply to my system.
My motherboard has two PCIE x16 slots, but the second one shares resources with other PCIE slots and the USB3 controller. The card is connected to the first slot and the second one is empty. In the BIOS there is an option to set the x16_2 to x4 or x1, but it is set to Auto and is not editable. The manual states that the second slot will be set to x1 automatically to free system resources.

Hi,
I always find its worth testing these things by removing anything that can conflict with it. I have also come to the conclusion that a lot of these graphics cards need all the dedicated supply they can get.
If it was me and if it is possible I would free up that second slot temporarily and set the BIOS settings for the PCI express x16 to read only the graphics card slot and see if the card runs better like that. If it does then at least you know the problem and if it doesn't then you have ruled my theory out.
Ian26
January 13, 2013 6:24:19 AM

I don't have anything connected to the pcie slots besides the graphics card
!