Hyper 212 Plus cooler won't fit HAF 922?

red5

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
So I followed one of tecmo34's stickied build recommendations, with the following pertinant parts:

COOLER MASTER HAF 922

Intel Core i5 750

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD4

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

I've got the processor in and I'm about to tackle the heat sink.

Problem is, the cooler replacement hole in the motherboard tray doesn't seem to be large enough to accomodate the backing bracket of the Hyper 212 Plus. When I hold the board up to the case, I can see the edges of the case's motherboard hole through the lower two heat sink holes.

So it appears to me that the bottom of the bracket will end up touching the motherboard tray, which I assume is extraordinarily bad.

Any ideas? I don't have the means to cut the edges of the motherboard tray -- I guess I could try to bend it away with a pair of pliers?

I also was a bit worried to read in the case's manual that the cooler solution should not exceed 160mm, which is basically the height of the Hyper 212 Plus.

Should I just go with the stock cooler? I don't intend to OC. I plan to mount the PSU fan up to help with cooling.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus cooler fits just fine on that motherboard and case. I've used that combination with no problems. The cooler bracket is adjustable and work just fine if you follow the instructions. There is no cutting, grinding, or sledgehammer use required. :) Go back to the instructions before you damage your fancy new components.

Edit: You did place the motherboard standoffs between the motherboard and case, right? The standoffs will give you the clearance you need. With that HSF, I find it easiest to install the HSF backing plate while the motherboard is outside the case.

red5

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Ah... I thought the bracket went on vertically, but apparently it should go horizontally. That makes more sense, it won't extend as far down this way.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. (yep, stand offs are on)

tecmo34

Administrator
I second shortstuff_mt's recommendation to install the HSF on the motherboard outside of the case? The CM Hyper 212 Plus will fit just fine within the case. Re-read the instructions and everything will be okay.

Thanks for reviewing and basing a build off of my sticky... :)

red5

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks both, I think I'm in good shape... I've got the heat sink on there now, just need to finish tightening it down. The instructions are a little vague, do you keep tightening until the little black washer under the spring touches the nut?

red5

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Thank you. Sorry, one last question... I notice looking at your step-by-step guide that your heat sink is actually facing up, whereas I went by the directions and mine is pointing out the back. Problem, or preference?

red5

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
OK, calling it a night. Just to be anal, the following photo is nothing to worry about correct?

http://twitpic.com/17uuax

The lower right nut is painfully close to touching the case, if it isn't already. The left one has a little clearance.

The two AMD connections are also very close to touching, but I'm guessing it's less of an issue since they have the protective film on them?

red5

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Well, I decided to put a bit of electrical tape on the offending bracket areas just to be safe. So far so good, booted first time and loading Windows...

EDIT: Which I'll be doing again shortly because I accidentally installed the 32-bit version. Ugh...