Intel 320 SSD - Won't boot to Windows

Daire

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hi guys,

I recently purchased an Asus G74sx laptop and decided to replace one of the two 750gb internal drives with an Intel 320 SSD. I used Intel's data migration software to move windows onto the drive and everything has been working great for the past few months.

However, yesterday the computer crashed for no apparent reason and when I try to reboot I receive a message saying to"Select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key".

I have rechecked to ensure the HD is still fitted correctly, remove the other HD and ensured the right boot order was selected in the BIOS but I still receive this message. When I check the SATA devices which are connected in the BIOS menus the Intel SSD is detected but its capacity is showing as 0gb!

I don't think it is a hardware issue but I am not sure. If anyone could provide any suggestions on what this problem could be and how to resolve it I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for your help!!!

tomatthe

Distinguished
Based on what you are saying it sounds like that intel drive might have just died. Do you still have the 750g drive you cloned originally? I would try putting it back in to see if the machine will boot from it.

On one or two occasions where my system hasn't shut down properly I've run into the issue of not being able to boot from my SSD. So far I've been able to fix it by booting from the Windows installation disk and doing a repair. The repair tries and reports that it can't fix the problem, but the system actually does boot up just fine afterwards.