Tried to overclock but ecountered problem. Noob needs HELP =)

dapww

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hey everybody!

I tried to overclock my rig and encountered problem what ended with my computer not working anymore.

I read many different guides "How to OC.." etc. and I found one that supposedly had the same specs. as my rig have.
I followed these instructions but something went wrong and my computer isnt working anymore. It powers up but the screen stays black.

Fellow forum members, your help is really needed!! As it seems that Im extremely noob in this area I dont want to make things worse. So please HELP me =)!

I would like to get my computer working properly again and I still would like to overclock it.

My rig specs are:

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (Conroe) @ 1.86 GHz
CPU cooler is Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7
ADATA 4 x 1 GB DDR2 @ 667 MHz
ATI Radeon HD 4850 1024 mb
Windows XP 32 Professional

The instructions I followed were:

3. Once the BIOS screen is up, hit Ctrl+F1 to turn on all the tweaking extras (required for all Gigabyte mobos).

4. Go into the Advanced BIOS Features section and set the following to Disabled:
- Limit CPUID Max. to 3
- CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)
- CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2)
- CPU EIST Function

Why are we disbaled-ing them? They're throttling functions that will throttle back the CPU... which we don't particularly want.

5. Hit Esc to go back to the Main Menu then enter the PC Health Status section and the Fan Speed Control Method to Disable (not necessary in the long run, but I do it anyway since the fan is pretty quiet at full speed).

6. Hit Esc to go back to the Main Menu.

7. Enter the MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) section and do the following:
- Set CPU Host Clock Control to Enabled
- Set CPU Host Frequency (MHz) to 376
- Set PCI Express Frequency(MHz) to 100
- Set System Memory Multiplier to 2.00
- Set DRAM Timing Selectable to Manual
- Set CAS Latency Time to 5
- Set DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay to 5
- Set DRAM RAS# Precharge to 5
- Set Precharge dealy (tRAS) to 12
I figured I'd go with 5-5-5-12 since it's bound to work

8. Fit F10 on the keyboard and respond "Y" to whether you wish to change your settings and exit.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Clear cmos to go back to stock settings using either the motherboard jumpers or removing the motherboard battery for a little bit. Post back after you've done this.

dapww

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Ok. I removed the battery for a little while and put it back. And it seems my computer is working again. But do you know why this happened? Did I changed BIOS settings too high or is it normal to act this why if the BIOS settings are not ok?

And thanks for the information! At least now I learned something new about computers!

But still could someone help me with overclocking?

dapww

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I tried to use this guide but for some reason I cant break 2,0 GHz limit. I set CPU Host Frequency 285 and my CPU clock ratio is 7 x. I change PCI Express Frequency 100. Should I change my system memory multiplier do get memory frequency matching? But anyway after that I change CPU voltage control 1,27500V. Should I increase or decrease voltage when I raise my CPU Host frequency? And with these settings my computer works fine. But if I change anything higher it stops working.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
CPU overclocking usually takes additional voltage on the vcore, but I'm not very familiar with OCing older intel chips. I'd suggest you keep reading guides until you have a better understanding of how all the different settings effect operation.