Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Ram

Last response: in Memory
November 5, 2010 11:17:35 PM

I recently bought my dad a 2 gig stick of ram, but was wondering since it wasn't sold a dual channel kit if I buy another stick (the same stick) will it work as a dual channel setup??

Here's the ram I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : ram

a b } Memory
November 5, 2010 11:19:29 PM

Rules to Enable Dual Channel Mode
To achieve Dual Channel mode, the following conditions must be met:

Matched DIMM configuration in each channel
Same Density (128MB, 256MB, 512MB, etc.)
Matched in both Channel A and Channel B memory channels
OR

Populate symmetrical memory slots (Slot 0 or Slot 1)
Configurations that do not match the above conditions will revert to Single Channel mode.

The following conditions do not need to be met:
Same brand
Same timing specifications
Same DDR speed
Memory channel speed is determined by the slowest DIMM module populated in the system.

*This really depends on your motherboard. Some manufacturers use a color
-coded system (meaning use the same colors) and some require that you use the symmetrical approach (meaning same slot on both channels).
m
l
November 5, 2010 11:24:55 PM

ok, that pretty much answers my question. I bought a new board and gave him my Asus M4A77TD board that has 2 blue and 2 black slots. So if down the road I buy another of the same stick and say for instance place them in A1 and A2 it should work as dual channel right.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
November 5, 2010 11:27:38 PM

Keep in mind that mixing RAM often leads to boot or performance problems. By mixing RAM, I mean if you have specs that differ from each other. I would recommend you get an identical stick of what you just purchased now, if you are seriously thinking about adding another 2GB later.
November 5, 2010 11:30:34 PM

Yeah, I was going to buy the same one. Thanks, I just wasn't sure if I could add one later to run dual channel, but you confirmed it pretty much for me :)  Thanks again.
m
l
November 5, 2010 11:30:41 PM

Best answer selected by Ahumphers91.
m
l
!