Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrade CPU

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 19, 2010 7:20:47 AM

Hello,
i have gateway model # dx4710 with a motherboard
# G33M05G1 and chipset of P35/G33/G31. it has a E5200 dual core pentium 2.5 Ghz processor. I would like upgrade my processor to something faster, can some 1 tell me which processors will work in my puter ? Do I have
to keep the bus speed and L2 cache the same as the CPU I wanna replace. BTW , the bus is 800Mhz and L2 cache
is 2Mb for the one I wanna replace and the wattage is 65W .

More about : upgrade cpu

May 19, 2010 7:31:57 AM

and my current CPU is 45nm
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2010 7:44:12 AM

Do you have the motherboard manual? That's the best place to look since it would list all the processor series compatible with your motherboard.
I think the LGA 775 CPUs upto the Core2Quads would be the limit which your board would support.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 19, 2010 8:06:04 AM

do the L2 cache and FSB have to match my current CPU ?
I dont have the motherboard manual .
m
0
l
May 19, 2010 8:09:14 AM

ksampanna said:
Do you have the motherboard manual? That's the best place to look since it would list all the processor series compatible with your motherboard.
I think the LGA 775 CPUs upto the Core2Quads would be the limit which your board would support.



Do the L2 cache and FSB have to match my current CPU ?
I dont have the motherboard manual .
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2010 10:14:48 AM

MiLKMAN4339 said:
Hello,
i have gateway model # dx4710 with a motherboard
# G33M05G1 and chipset of P35/G33/G31. it has a E5200 dual core pentium 2.5 Ghz processor. I would like upgrade my processor to something faster, can some 1 tell me which processors will work in my puter ? Do I have
to keep the bus speed and L2 cache the same as the CPU I wanna replace. BTW , the bus is 800Mhz and L2 cache
is 2Mb for the one I wanna replace and the wattage is 65W .


Here is something on Yahoo of someone with the same motherboard using a Core 2 Quad 9300:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091109012...
m
0
l
May 19, 2010 11:17:47 AM

Please help. I don't know how to post new topic, and see this one talk about CPU
Please help....

I have hp e9120y, cpu phenom iix4 910-95W
I bought new cpu try to upgrade phenom iix4 965 3.4 Ghz-125W. After install and turn on computer, it not on. I head some one say my mobo not support for cpu which is over 95W? Is it right? There no way to make it work for my new cpu. Thank you
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2010 4:25:24 PM

MiLKMAN4339 said:
Do the L2 cache and FSB have to match my current CPU ?
I dont have the motherboard manual .


No, they don't have to match.

Quote:

i have gateway model # dx4710 with a motherboard
# G33M05G1 and chipset of P35/G33/G31


You have not clearly specified which motherboard it is (since it can have only one chipset out of the 3 you've listed).
Knowing the motherboard is imp since, it will tell us about the max cpu FSB it can support.
Download CPU-Z & from that, tell us which is your board.
m
0
l
May 21, 2010 5:53:24 AM

ksampanna said:
No, they don't have to match.

Quote:

i have gateway model # dx4710 with a motherboard
# G33M05G1 and chipset of P35/G33/G31


You have not clearly specified which motherboard it is (since it can have only one chipset out of the 3 you've listed).
Knowing the motherboard is imp since, it will tell us about the max cpu FSB it can support.
Download CPU-Z & from that, tell us which is your board.


I do have CPU-Z already on my computer and under the mainboard tab it says chipset = " intel ,P35/G33/G31 ,
rev =a2 " . It lists all 3 , if it can only be 1 of them, then its the G33.
m
0
l
May 21, 2010 6:13:37 AM

Or, since i see the E5200 seems to do very well at overclocking , if i can get a motherboard with a bios that allows overclocking for close to the same price as it would be to upgrade the CPU , I could go that way too if some 1 could tell me a motherboard that would work.
m
0
l
!