Upgrade CPU

Hello,
i have gateway model # dx4710 with a motherboard
# G33M05G1 and chipset of P35/G33/G31. it has a E5200 dual core pentium 2.5 Ghz processor. I would like upgrade my processor to something faster, can some 1 tell me which processors will work in my puter ? Do I have
to keep the bus speed and L2 cache the same as the CPU I wanna replace. BTW , the bus is 800Mhz and L2 cache
is 2Mb for the one I wanna replace and the wattage is 65W .
9 answers Last reply
More about upgrade
  1. and my current CPU is 45nm
  2. Do you have the motherboard manual? That's the best place to look since it would list all the processor series compatible with your motherboard.
    I think the LGA 775 CPUs upto the Core2Quads would be the limit which your board would support.
  3. do the L2 cache and FSB have to match my current CPU ?
    I dont have the motherboard manual .
  4. ksampanna said:
    Do you have the motherboard manual? That's the best place to look since it would list all the processor series compatible with your motherboard.
    I think the LGA 775 CPUs upto the Core2Quads would be the limit which your board would support.

Do the L2 cache and FSB have to match my current CPU ?
  5. MiLKMAN4339 said:
    Hello,
    # G33M05G1 and chipset of P35/G33/G31. it has a E5200 dual core pentium 2.5 Ghz processor. I would like upgrade my processor to something faster, can some 1 tell me which processors will work in my puter ? Do I have
    to keep the bus speed and L2 cache the same as the CPU I wanna replace. BTW , the bus is 800Mhz and L2 cache
    is 2Mb for the one I wanna replace and the wattage is 65W .

Here is something on Yahoo of someone with the same motherboard using a Core 2 Quad 9300:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091109012314AAwLnjh
  6. Please help. I don't know how to post new topic, and see this one talk about CPU
    Please help....

I have hp e9120y, cpu phenom iix4 910-95W
    I bought new cpu try to upgrade phenom iix4 965 3.4 Ghz-125W. After install and turn on computer, it not on. I head some one say my mobo not support for cpu which is over 95W? Is it right? There no way to make it work for my new cpu. Thank you
  7. MiLKMAN4339 said:
    Do the L2 cache and FSB have to match my current CPU ?

No, they don't have to match.

Quote:

# G33M05G1 and chipset of P35/G33/G31

You have not clearly specified which motherboard it is (since it can have only one chipset out of the 3 you've listed).
    Knowing the motherboard is imp since, it will tell us about the max cpu FSB it can support.
    Download CPU-Z & from that, tell us which is your board.
  8. ksampanna said:
    No, they don't have to match.

Quote:

# G33M05G1 and chipset of P35/G33/G31

You have not clearly specified which motherboard it is (since it can have only one chipset out of the 3 you've listed).
    Knowing the motherboard is imp since, it will tell us about the max cpu FSB it can support.
    Download CPU-Z & from that, tell us which is your board.

I do have CPU-Z already on my computer and under the mainboard tab it says chipset = " intel ,P35/G33/G31 ,
    rev =a2 " . It lists all 3 , if it can only be 1 of them, then its the G33.
  9. Or, since i see the E5200 seems to do very well at overclocking , if i can get a motherboard with a bios that allows overclocking for close to the same price as it would be to upgrade the CPU , I could go that way too if some 1 could tell me a motherboard that would work.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors Product