Missing Files: Iomega Home Media Network Drive

Pete554411

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Product: Iomega Home Media Storage Drive
Issue: Missing files
Background:
I mistakenly pressed the power button too long on the back of the unit and now the files on the drive are missing. It mounts to my mac ok, the folders are there, but the folders are empty.''

Thanks.

Pete

sgerwinat

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Hi fellow victims of Iomega,

I had the exact same issue - after restarting my iomega home media drive, all folders were showing as empty in the storage manager application.

I did hours of research, and even installed ubuntu to read the drive directly as a linux hard drive. Folders were still showing empty. I finally concluded that data restoration was the way to go, although I had some concerns about losing file/folder structure. I tried photorec (from cgsecurity.org), and it found files but did not seem capable of restoring file structure. Note that iomega uses XFS, and *not* EXT for the file system on this drive. Perhaps that's one reason I could not read the files from Ubuntu.

I kept searching for other tools and found an inexpensive XFS recovery tool that is doing a fantastic job of recovering both files and my file system structure: Raise Data Recovery for XFS, available from Avangate (http://www.ufsexplorer.com/rdr_xfs.php) for just over 20 Euros. It took 7 hours to scan through about 1.2 TB of data on the Iomega drive, and it is restoring the approx. 24,000 files to an external 2TB drive right now. I'll have to do some manual re-naming of directories, but that's about the extent of the pain.

Hope his helps.

Roach154

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

How do you connect the iomega drive so that ufs explorer can see it. My computer can see the drive with all the (now empty) folders but recovery software only seems to see drives that are physically attached.

Rudhamstile

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Iomega 1Tb Home Media NAS drive problem
To all Iomega Victims
Thanks and praise to sgerwinat for the reference XPS recovery software
Have had a complete network/drive failure on my Iomega 1Tb Home Media NAS drive which has led to mass panic, puzzled IT techs and unnecessary spending.
Note: Pay the small fee for a license as it will only do small files for the free trial. Also there is a painful long key activation code with a few emails to the help desk but all sorted in the end.
SERIOUSLY- THIS HAS SAVED MY 10 YEAR BUSINESS, REPUTATION, HEALTH AND MONEY. its been very emotional
PRAISE ALL DUE.
NOW get rid of the NAS drive and investigate cloud backups etc ASAP

Unprofessional

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
If you have a bit more technical knowledge there is also a free solution.

It took me some time and lots of researching, but I finally managed to restore files from my destroyed Iomega Network drive.

Here is the solution in few simple steps.

1. Prepare Knoppix CD and start your computer with Linux instead of Windows.
2. Go to shell, type "su" to become a super user, and then type those magic words: "mdadm --assemble --scan". This will turn all that XFS/Raid Iomega mess into pretty logical drives!
3. However they are not ready to use. The logical volumes are still not active. To turn them on type this: "vgchange -a y".
4. It's almost over! The logical volume with your data is somewhere in /dev/something location. You can use command "lvdisplay" to see where is what exactly. Now you just need to mount it. Do it with something like "mount /dev/something/virtualblahblab /mnt/real_folder_with_real_files" - and that's it!
5. Copy all your files from /mnt/real_folder_with_real_files (or wherever you mounted it) to some safer place.

Or, you can just pay a little money, like the other victims of Iomega said. It's a good and comfortable solution. But if you know your way around Linux (just a basic knowledge) and you follow my steps it is fully possible to recover every piece of data from the raw, naked hard drive pulled out from broken Iomega Network Drive!

I hope it helps.