Toshiba keyboard working a bit strange

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 29, 2004 3:03:28 AM

I've replaced my original DVD-ROM (TEAc brand) for an LG combo (after
shorting pins 45 and 47 works perfect)
But my problems didn't end. I observe a VERRRY STRANGE behaviour of my
laptop.
I had W2k installed. After collecting my laptop from service keyboard
didn't work in W2k. BUT - it worked perfectly under good-old-plain-DOS!!!
After restoring software from original Product Recovery CD (it was Win98)
my keyboard worked pefectly. After upgrading to Win2K my keyboard refused
ANY COOPERATION - simply ANY ACTION. Could someone explain this.
I'm working with computers for a quarter of a century (I'm MS in computer
science) but didn't seen such a strange behaviour.
Regards
Chris
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2004 3:03:29 AM

"KK" <bursalino@wp.pl> wrote in message
> I've replaced my original DVD-ROM (TEAc brand) for an LG combo (after
> shorting pins 45 and 47 works perfect)
> But my problems didn't end. I observe a VERRRY STRANGE behaviour of my
> laptop.
> I had W2k installed. After collecting my laptop from service keyboard
> didn't work in W2k. BUT - it worked perfectly under good-old-plain-DOS!!!
> After restoring software from original Product Recovery CD (it was Win98)
> my keyboard worked pefectly. After upgrading to Win2K my keyboard refused
> ANY COOPERATION - simply ANY ACTION. Could someone explain this.
> I'm working with computers for a quarter of a century (I'm MS in computer
> science) but didn't seen such a strange behaviour.
> Regards
> Chris

Good heavens. I have installed Win2K on the following Toshiba laptops, with
no problems:

Tecra 520
Tecra 550
Tecra 8000
Satellite 2805 -S201
Satellite 2805 -S401

Never an issue. So, does the external keyboard port work? If so, have you
gone to the Toshiba site and downloaded and installed all the drivers?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2004 4:12:48 AM

Sounds like a driver problem from your description.

The keyboard interface is not a "plain vanilla" as many people think.
Some Asus motherboards won't work with some keyboards, and the problems
often show up as mouse or USB problems.

But in a laptop, there should be no hardware incompatabilities.

KK wrote:

> I've replaced my original DVD-ROM (TEAc brand) for an LG combo (after
> shorting pins 45 and 47 works perfect)
> But my problems didn't end. I observe a VERRRY STRANGE behaviour of my
> laptop.
> I had W2k installed. After collecting my laptop from service keyboard
> didn't work in W2k. BUT - it worked perfectly under good-old-plain-DOS!!!
> After restoring software from original Product Recovery CD (it was Win98)
> my keyboard worked pefectly. After upgrading to Win2K my keyboard refused
> ANY COOPERATION - simply ANY ACTION. Could someone explain this.
> I'm working with computers for a quarter of a century (I'm MS in computer
> science) but didn't seen such a strange behaviour.
> Regards
> Chris
Related resources
August 30, 2004 4:27:53 AM

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:12:48 GMT, Barry Watzman wrote:

> Sounds like a driver problem from your description.
>
> The keyboard interface is not a "plain vanilla" as many people think.
> Some Asus motherboards won't work with some keyboards, and the problems
> often show up as mouse or USB problems.
>
> But in a laptop, there should be no hardware incompatabilities.
>

> KK wrote:
>
>> [13 quoted lines suppressed]

But it (I mean Windows 2000) worked with this particular notebook and with
used (then and now) set of drivers. External keyboard does not work either.
I'd like to add - probably crucial - info. My touchpad isn't working
neither under W98 neither W2000. I suspect some sort of bad contact but
could it made keyboard itself to not function?? BTW Live CD Suse 9.1 works
also perfectly with my internal keyboard.
August 31, 2004 4:55:31 AM

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:12:48 GMT, Barry Watzman wrote:

> Sounds like a driver problem from your description.
>
> The keyboard interface is not a "plain vanilla" as many people think.
> Some Asus motherboards won't work with some keyboards, and the problems
> often show up as mouse or USB problems.
>
> But in a laptop, there should be no hardware incompatabilities.
>

> KK wrote:
>
>> [13 quoted lines suppressed]

Today I fixed my problem :) .
FYI. Drivers for touchpad and keyboard for W2000 are apparently made as a
whole unit and when (as was my case) haven't properly connected touchpad
cable you also can not use your keyboard.
Best wishes for all especially for Barry
regards
Chris
!