Deleted "unknown" profile

I think I messed up big time.
I deleted a profile that said the owner was unknown, and although I can
still log in etc, everything is gone.
Is there anyway to get my data back? And no, system restore is turned off.

Even outlook express is gone.
4 answers Last reply
More about deleted unknown profile

    There are third party tools available that handle this, such as Emergency
    Undelete from http://www.undelete.com/coverpage.asp and others. Deleting the
    files only marks the space as available to use so the sooner you stop using
    the drive the better chance you'll have of recovery.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "SusieQ" wrote:
    |I think I messed up big time.
    | I deleted a profile that said the owner was unknown, and although I can
    | still log in etc, everything is gone.
    | Is there anyway to get my data back? And no, system restore is turned
    off.

    | Even outlook express is gone.

    Hi,

    Did you delete the all user profile and/or default user ? If so, the
    default user is the base template for each new user account, the All User
    contains all the items that are shared between every user that access the
    computer.

    Jeff

    "SusieQ" <SusieQ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I think I messed up big time.
    > I deleted a profile that said the owner was unknown, and although I can
    > still log in etc, everything is gone.
    > Is there anyway to get my data back? And no, system restore is turned
    > off.
    >
    > Even outlook express is gone.

    HI - no I did not
    there was a user account that was labeled "user unknown"
    My account is there
    Administrator is there
    All User is there
    Default user is there - all with older dates

    My acount is there, but the My Documents folder is empty, including the
    desktop, my favorites, etc.
    I tried to open the "quicklaunch" toolbar, but receive an error message that
    says cannot create toolbar.

    I know all this stuff was in my profile, and don't understand why it's now
    gone.

    "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Did you delete the all user profile and/or default user ? If so, the
    > default user is the base template for each new user account, the All User
    > contains all the items that are shared between every user that access the
    > computer.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "SusieQ" <SusieQ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I think I messed up big time.
    >> I deleted a profile that said the owner was unknown, and although I can
    >> still log in etc, everything is gone.
    >> Is there anyway to get my data back? And no, system restore is turned
    >> off.
    >>
    >> Even outlook express is gone.

    Hi,

    Hmmmm, not quite sure what happened then. Is there any data in your
    profile? Usually if windows has a problem with a profile, it creates a new
    one names Username.computername for an alternate profile to use. It is
    just strange that you log on and it uses your current account profile with
    no data inside. It seems like that user unknown was the profile the
    computer was using whenever you logged on. After you deleted it, the
    registry located the original profile and used that for your log on. Only
    thing I can suggest is stop using the computer, slavd that drive to another
    computer, use one of the special software out there that can possible
    recover deleted data from HDD and Floppies. If you can recover the data
    from that deleted profile, transfer it to your account and hope for the best

    Jeff

    "SusieQ" <rh@bloofrog.net> wrote in message
    > HI - no I did not
    > there was a user account that was labeled "user unknown"
    > My account is there
    > Administrator is there
    > All User is there
    > Default user is there - all with older dates
    >
    > My acount is there, but the My Documents folder is empty, including the
    > desktop, my favorites, etc.
    > I tried to open the "quicklaunch" toolbar, but receive an error message
    > that says cannot create toolbar.
    >
    > I know all this stuff was in my profile, and don't understand why it's now
    > gone.
    >

    > "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Did you delete the all user profile and/or default user ? If so, the
    >> default user is the base template for each new user account, the All User
    >> contains all the items that are shared between every user that access the
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>
    >> "SusieQ" <SusieQ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>I think I messed up big time.
    >>> I deleted a profile that said the owner was unknown, and although I can
    >>> still log in etc, everything is gone.
    >>> Is there anyway to get my data back? And no, system restore is turned
    >>> off.
    >>>
    >>> Even outlook express is gone.

Configuration Windows XP