Upgrading 8800Ultra

Syph3r

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hello,

I am looking at possibly upgrading my old evga 8800 Ultra but I want to know if it is even worth it right now?

Seems like I can still run games at 1920x180 just fine. So my question is: Am I going to see a large difference going to say a gtx 275 or whatever card would you guys recommend. Really is it worth the money right now, or should I wait and buy an i5 system later?

Current system specs:

intel core 2 duo e6600
gigabyte DS3 mobo
4Gb ram
corsair 850W ps
win 7 x64

The 8800 Ultras are somewhat in the performance range (or in-line with) a GTS250 if i'm not mistaken.

So upgrading to a GTX275 would be a little upgrade IMO, bigger than going to a GTX260, but somewhat close still. Prolly would be better to a 5850 (great OCer, kinda best gang for the buck in my eyes) or a GTX285 (if you like nVidia).

How much money are you planning to spend?

Cheers!

Syph3r

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply. Really I am ether looking at the best time to upgrade, my current HD is on it's way out so it has gotten me thinking about going for ether a complete overhaul to my system or upgrade parts to tie me over along the lines of ether

option A:

I5 750
MSI P55-GD65
Corsair 6GB XMS3-1600 PC3-12800
eVGA e-GeForce GTX 275 1792MB DDR3 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out
SS HD

or option B,

core 2 duo e7500
new vid card
SS HD

ether way I still not sure what would be the best vid card for price/value. As for the parts in option A that I need I am looking to spend around 1k (in canada so prices are a bit higher here) otherwise it is a cheaper option for B

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
It say considering an overclock of your processor could be a good idea. This would give you the power to leverage a newer GPU. In order to get the full value out of a GPU upgrade I would suggest you go all the way up to a 5850 at around $300--this would be good to transfer to your new PC along with the corsair PSU. (im betting that price drops after Nvidia Fermi though)

Your option B is going to be a high end AMD phenom II system that would be a bit slower than the i5, but a lot cheaper.