Upgrading 8800Ultra

Hello,

I am looking at possibly upgrading my old evga 8800 Ultra but I want to know if it is even worth it right now?

Seems like I can still run games at 1920x180 just fine. So my question is: Am I going to see a large difference going to say a gtx 275 or whatever card would you guys recommend. Really is it worth the money right now, or should I wait and buy an i5 system later?

Current system specs:

intel core 2 duo e6600
gigabyte DS3 mobo
4Gb ram
corsair 850W ps
win 7 x64
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrading 8800ultra
  1. The 8800 Ultras are somewhat in the performance range (or in-line with) a GTS250 if i'm not mistaken.

So upgrading to a GTX275 would be a little upgrade IMO, bigger than going to a GTX260, but somewhat close still. Prolly would be better to a 5850 (great OCer, kinda best gang for the buck in my eyes) or a GTX285 (if you like nVidia).

How much money are you planning to spend?

Cheers!
  2. Thanks for the quick reply. Really I am ether looking at the best time to upgrade, my current HD is on it's way out so it has gotten me thinking about going for ether a complete overhaul to my system or upgrade parts to tie me over along the lines of ether

option A:

I5 750
    MSI P55-GD65
    Corsair 6GB XMS3-1600 PC3-12800
    eVGA e-GeForce GTX 275 1792MB DDR3 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out
    SS HD

or option B,

core 2 duo e7500
    new vid card
    SS HD

ether way I still not sure what would be the best vid card for price/value. As for the parts in option A that I need I am looking to spend around 1k (in canada so prices are a bit higher here) otherwise it is a cheaper option for B
  3. Forget option B :)
    Getting another LGA 775 dual core ain't a very good idea.

Get the HD for sure.
    Since you're satisfied with the performance of 8800ultra you don't need to upgrade now.
  4. It say considering an overclock of your processor could be a good idea. This would give you the power to leverage a newer GPU. In order to get the full value out of a GPU upgrade I would suggest you go all the way up to a 5850 at around $300--this would be good to transfer to your new PC along with the corsair PSU. (im betting that price drops after Nvidia Fermi though)

Your option B is going to be a high end AMD phenom II system that would be a bit slower than the i5, but a lot cheaper.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics