Reformatting Hard drive

rdirwin83

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Hello,
I recently gave my father the hard drive from my old asus computer (the motherboard failed) so he could replaced the hard drive in his dell (his hard drive failed). When booting up his dell I get no option at all to reformat the hard drive. The asus drive currently has win vista installed while his dell only has the xp recovery disk. How can I wipe this hard drive clean to install xp for him?

Hey charles, knock it off with the SPAM.

To the OP, boot the XP CD and proceed until you get to the point that you are asked where Windows should be installed. At this point you can choose to install to an existing volume or delete/create a new volume. You will be prompted to format at that time.

rdirwin83

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
I am having no ability to boot the xp cd. when I select Setup or Boot Options on the Dell startup all I get are the windows safemode options screen, the one that asks how you would like to start windows

macleonard

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012

first off hDD don't fail in 20 yrs never seen 1 do it, it just crashed, u have to go in in safe mode to fix by doing a disk clean-up & a defrag, mobo only fail it u drop something in there that creates a short r it got to hot fan wasn't working & it burned 1 of the wires on the processor or a sorter, that it, u can only format a drive when ur install a new OS, or u put it another computer as drive 2 then u can format it

Absolute BS. You don't have 20 minutes experience, let alone 20 years. Hard drives fail, it's a fact (got 23 failed drives on a shelf in one of my workshops). Quit spamming the forum with your nonsense (and take your other 8 accounts with you).