5830 The Real Question: BIOS Update

eberkleer

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Reading though the article at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5830,2564-2.html It was said that the 5830 and the 5870 have the same GPU core except the core was "crippled to the new specification and dubbed Cypress LE. In fact, AMD's power usage specifications suggest that the Radeon HD 5830 will be based on the high-end Radeon HD 5870 card instead of the smaller 5850." So theoretically it is a 5870 with GPU parts disabled to make it a 5830. My question is we have seen some success with the 5850 BIOS updates to a 5870 however it doesn't affect the number of shaders. Has anyone gotten a hold of one of these cards and tried a 5870 BIOS update on it to see if it could reactivate these parts of the GPU? We know it is possible to unlock parts of the AMD processors, for instance the Phenom II x2 550 can be unlocked into a Phenom II x4 B50 however the reasons these parts are locked are totally unrelated to my understanding. Considering originally the processor cores were locked due to quality control. However these GPU chips seem to have locked parts on purpose seeming just shutting down parts of perfectly good GPU's.

This was just something I have been thinking about rather hard and without the extra money to just try it I just figured I would ask and see if anyone else has had this idea and was actually able to try it, or to get the idea out there to see if anyone was willing to try it.

Rhysus_McGillus

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I totally agree with what you said, i seen a diogram on what is LCOKED!! in this 5830, and by the looks of it if you unlocked it, you would get a GREAT deal more proformance out of it http://en.inpai.com.cn/doc/enshowcont.asp?id=7589&pageid=6725 that web site will show the LOCKED parts. so it would be possable to use the locked out parts, with a bios flash of the 5870 would be possable, i know this doesnt explain HOW to but it will confirm it is possable, if you find ANY infomation about UNLOCKING it please email me on rhys_corbet@hotmail.com as im buying two of sapphire 5830 gamers addition in CF-x

qbit

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Well, im sure there are people out there trying. But im pretty sure that the tracks have been cut rather than just a soft disable. Aside from that the demand is pretty small for these chips due to there price/performance compared to the 5850. This means they aren't likly to be making many 5870s (if at all judging by the lowish yeilds) and the 5830s are chips that couldnt make it to the dizzying heights of being a 5870.

Basicly even if they are soft locked theres a good chance the chip isnt capable to running those extra parts stably.

jkefalas

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

I own a Sapphire HD5830. Just downloaded the MSI 5830 Twin Frozr bios update. That bios should allow voltage control through Afterburner. Will try when I get home from work. The Sapphire BIOS sux for overclocking. Even rejects RBE voltage editing. I suspect it's the vanilla ATI bios. Also downloaded the bios for the Sapphire HD5870 with correct ID hex's if that doesn't work. Will post tonight's results ASAP.

G

Well?

how's it coming? I have a Sapphire 5830 and would definitely like to try and let it stretch its legs.

- ragejg-
Mod/staff
nvnews.net